Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,887   Posts: 1,520,708   Online: 1088

Thread: F64

Shooter
    Medium Format

F64

I was looking for some information regarding a flash unit that could deliver about f45 or f64 around 10 feet. I'm currently shooting plus x 125 speed film - I would consider pretty much any other film too.
    I'm shooting this old timey 50s prom with an 8x10, I just need a frontal flash to give the look while retaining the focus.
    I attached an example of the kind of image I'm going for, however the final photos will be done in a high school gym, so I'd like to have more party decorations and such in focus. I'm using reflective decorations and clothes to help with the lack of light towards the back of the frame.

I'm guessing a monolight would do the trick, I was able to get f 11 with my vivitar 285hv at full power.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails n23422908_45123037_2759319.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Tri-X will give you the look and more speed.

I think my Norman FS-10 fresnel head and a 2000 W-s pack can give you around f:64 at 10 feet with ISO 125, but if you want some light on the background, a faster film will give you room to adjust the focus to a broader setting. This presumes you want that kind of shadow like in the sample photo, otherwise it's best to light the background separately.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you want to use that film it sounds like a job for a single 1500WS studio strobe and a big softbox.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    old fashioned flash bulbs might be fun, and provide plenty of light.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're not getting Plus-X in 8x10. You can't even get in in 4x5. Kodak stopped making that a long time ago. Freestyle seems to have the largest selection of 8x10 films around and these are your choices. I'm curious to know why on earth you'd want to do this with an 8x10 camera? Just popping a flash on a 35 mm SLR and firing away can produce that sort of look. 8x10 film costs anywhere from $2 to $5 a pop. That's rather extravagant.
    Frank Schifano

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin