Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,081   Online: 893

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    this link points to one of the suite of wein safe-sync adaptors. it is the one i bought and have used between my metz202 and 402 strobes and my canon elite 2 camera for six years. it works without any dramas.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Shoe_to.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBikerPete View Post
    this link points to one of the suite of wein safe-sync adaptors. it is the one i bought and have used between my metz202 and 402 strobes and my canon elite 2 camera for six years. it works without any dramas.
    This is the one I have also. I would use it even with on older camera that may not have a problem with higher voltages because I would think it might save any electrical arc from getting the contacts dirty. Just a thought.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBikerPete View Post
    Same one for me too!
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Useful info here: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

I'd be more tempted to put the $s into radio slaves for their flexibility. And then there's always the option of using a slave on the main light with a small strobe (or built in strobe) on the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, gang, Chapter II in the continuing saga ...

Om my way from medical maintenance and support in Boston, I visited Calumet on Bent Street in Cambridge, MA., where I purchased a Wein "Safe Sync Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe ..." etc., model SSHSHS.

At first glance, this thing LOOKED good ... complete with a "test" button on the side, and my main area of interest, a PC connector right up front.
    As I stared, I realized that I was looking at something I had never encountered before -a raw, unprotected Printed wiring board serving as the piggyback connector, opposite the camera hot shoe foot. No plating - nada. To me that is a severe design no-no. Eventually (shouldn't be too long, either) wear and friction WILL cause that board to delaminate and fail.

I was contemplating a fix by more or less permanently installing a run-of-the-mill unregulated Kalt Hot Shoe to PC adapter to the board, when the problem resolved itself. On the first try, this puppy was DOA- Dead On Arrival. No connection was possible between hot shoe contacts and either PC socket or raw PCB configuration. IT DID NOT WORK!!

Calumet proved its integrity again. I returned this on my way to another Med Main and Supp session with NO question or any trace of a hard time.

I have heard of quality problems with Wein before... Doesn't ANYONE manufacture a half decent Voltage regulation device in competition?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    must be too late. Keep hitting the wrong buttons.
    Last edited by BetterSense; 03-25-2009 at 12:07 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: errant post

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wein's changed their design, it was better when it was plastic.

I don't think that the difference between 12 volts & 8 volts should be a cause for much concern. I've been using them straight for a while, but hook it into the synch connection on the side,if you can, or you can always, use the Wein infrared, or Pocket Wizard remote slaves. This is what Dynalite says in a pdf instruction manual from their site.

Sync/Slave/Infrared/Radio Operation
    The Sync Input Socket circuitry is I.S.O approved and operated and operates on 10 volts DC to avoid damage to camera flash contacts. Plug the sync cord into the sync terminal on the camera first, then plug the other end into the Sync Input Socket on the power pack, inserting the wide blade at the top. The three-pronged plug supplied prevents accidental insertion in to an AC outlet, but the socket will also accept a two-pronged plug.

By the way, the Wein's probably won't work because they won't just drop 4 volts. That's not what they're designed to do. It probably won't fire.
    One final note; Wein changed their design. Originally, it was made out of plastic, with a locking ring for the hot foot.
    Yo do know, that the Wein's take a Nikon Screw-Lock synch cord, available from Paramount, to make good contact.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [PARTONE
    QUOTE=Vanishing Point Ent.;793210] "I don't think that the difference between 12 volts & 8 volts should be a cause for much concern. . . . . "

PART TWO
    "Sync/Slave/Infrared/Radio Operation
    The Sync Input Socket circuitry is I.S.O approved and operated and operates on 10 volts DC to avoid damage to camera flash contacts. . . . . "

PART THREE
    "By the way, the Wein's probably won't work because they won't just drop 4 volts. That's not what they're designed to do. . . . . " [/QUOTE]

RESPONSE TO PART ONE:
    Vanishing Point Enterprises, I cannot agree with you. In electronics, there is a large difference between 12 volts and 8 volts. If you have a circuit designed to operate on 8 volts and you select 10 volt rated components (such as electrolytic capacitors), the application of 12 volts to the circuit could cause a catastrophic problem with the circuitry. A 20 per cent rated tolerance in the component would be right on the edge at that point. Are you sure that you are putting in only 12.00 volts? I remind you that your nominal 12 volt automobile circuitry actually operates on about 13.8 VDC under "normal" conditions. It can go up to 15 VDC under some conditions.

RESPONSE TO PART TWO:
    The ISO standard merely states that the trigger circuit voltage shall not be higher than 24 VDC. The designer of the input circuitry is perfectly able to design a circuit that will work on a lower voltage. It is up to you to read the manufacturers instructions and specifications and to select the equipment to use with the camera to insure that the specifications are not exceeded. One way to do that is to use only the accessories provided by the manufacturer to work with that camera. Then if anything happens, he should clearly stand by his warranty. If you are using other accessories, you should be prepared to answer any questions the manufacturer may have about the exact voltages involved with the use of those other accessories if you are requesting repair under his warranty.

RESPONSE TO PART THREE:
    The obvious question at this point is your unstated implication of what the Wein SafeSync is supposed to do. If the Wein device is intended to accept a flash trigger circuit voltage ranging up to over 200 volts, and drop it to a level safe for the camera circuitry of no more that about 5 volts, then what is the comment about " . . . they won't just drop 4 volts." What is your understanding of what the Wein SafeSync actually does for a camera flash control circuit?
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin