Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,527   Online: 1105

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The only problem with that circuit is that it needs an external power supply. It could be derived from the high voltage present on the flash trigger contacts.

However, look how simple it would be to incorporate it into the camera making it compatible with practically any flash ever made. Actually, with the right choice of opto isolator, R2 and SCR1 would not be needed making it a two component solution.

There can only be two reasons for not incorporating it:

1. Cost cutting (but not much).

2. Marketing. Forcing camera buyers to buy the matching compatible flash units.

This circuit could equally be fitted into older flash equipment making it safe on any camera.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The design is a result of evolution. From flash powder with a trigger to the PC contact and mechanical switch to the electronic switch.
    The PC connection has proven to be a simple and reliable system. Not much to go wrong & easy to service. The electronic switch works very well as long as there's no polarity or voltage problems.
    The technology has changed. It's nice to suggest that manufacturers could update either camera or flash easily, but face it nobody will for the simple reason that there are millions of units out there and you can be certain the makers won't want to foot the bill and there are relatively so few problems.
    Betcha a dollar to a doughnut that individual equipment owners won't want to foot the bill either.
    The most expedient solution is the safe-sync system. At around $40 it's still less expensive than replacing a main board if you blow it up.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dr. Harold Edgarton invented the electronic flash. He wrote a book on it which you might still be able to find at the library which was pretty interesting. He had a circuit you could build that produced a flash duration of a half millionth of a second using some outrageous capacitors and a quartz tube wrapped with wire leads on the outside and the trigger wire run up the inside. It used air as the flash medium because it quenched far more rapidly than xenon. It was featured in the pages of Scientific American more years ago than I care to count as a project for experimenters.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    It's nice to suggest that manufacturers could update either camera or flash easily, but face it nobody will for the simple reason that there are millions of units out there and you can be certain the makers won't want to foot the bill.
    I wasn't sggesting that manufacturers should update their equipment. They should have made it all compatible in the first place instead of introducing a new, incompatible standard.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I wasn't sggesting that manufacturers should update their equipment. They should have made it all compatible in the first place instead of introducing a new, incompatible standard.

Steve.
    It's a good thought, but you can't do that unless you have a REALLY GOOD crystal ball.
    Unless you know what technology is coming down the uninvented/unimagined pipeline you simply can't do it.
    The PC/mechanical switch worked very well for years but the designers can't be faulted for not intuiting modern systems.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't agree. If I was a digital camera designer I would be thinking "what do I need to do with this flash trigger circuit to make sure it will work with any flash that its owner may connect to it?".

The answer is to fit a robust thyristor or triac output stage to it. Of course, the marketing people might have other ideas thinking that they could sell more flashes if the customer has to use one dedicated to the camera.

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I think that manufacturers of flashes in the past never, ever envisioned how much electronics would be put into camera's to come.
    Just one example: the Metz 402, the old workhorse of the past. I have that one for the past 25 odd years and used it with about every MF camera I have owned and still own. It is dangerous to connect it to my latest electronics laden camera's and I will add a tryristor to the sync circuit.
    The same with the Braun's 370 and 380 and so on.

25 years ago this medium, internet, that we all take for granted, didn't even exist.........

2GHz was something for wave-pipes and laboratory set-ups, now it is build into my cellphone.
    Everything became smaller in those 25 years and therefore more supseptable to interference from neighbouring circuitry.

On the other hand the camera makers have been forced to put more and more sensitive electronics into their camera's because of the competition.
    This entire thing called Digital is not an evolution, it is a revolution, that made many things of the past obsolete or at least not suitable for the newest generation.

Adding Safe Sync's (basicly thyristor based electronics) is just a needed adaptation between old and new.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by archphoto View Post
    Adding Safe Sync's (basicly thyristor based electronics) is just a needed adaptation between old and new.
    Yes, but my point is that if camera manufacturers designed in a Safesync type of circuit in all cameras, there would be no incompatibility.

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I think you are right with that.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Yes, but my point is that if camera manufacturers designed in a Safesync type of circuit in all cameras, there would be no incompatibility.

Steve.
    I agree totally. It should not be necessary to buy a safe synch in order to use the camera with flashes which remain in common use. As far as I'm concerned, it's a case of bad camera design, unless building the feature in would be expensive, which doesn't seem to be the case.
    Charles Hohenstein

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin