Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,637   Online: 990

Thread: REFLECTOR

OMU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

REFLECTOR

I’m want to by a folder reflector for portrait photography, both indoor an outdoor sessions.
    Anyone has any advice on size, colour and other useful tips. – I shoot almost only b&w.
    Thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't know about the situation in Norway, but a 90cm (or so) folding reflector is handy.
    They are for sale in silver, gold, white (used as a difusor ) and even black (for holding back light) and allso sold in sets, the best option I think.

I like both the silver and white ones, but when ever you want to shoot color the gold one comes in handy, because it warms up the shadow area.

Peter

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You can make your own with multiple pieces of foam-core. Put strips of aluminum foil over it to increase reflectiveness.

You're thinking of something like this, correct: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ver_White.html

Since you shoot many B&W, there is no need for a gold or gold-zebra striped reflector.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought one of the round convertible type reflectors. Without the covering it is a diffuser. Slip on the cover and one side is a white reflector and the other is gold. Reverse the cover and the reflectors are silver on one side and half gold and half silver on the other in a tight checkerboard pattern. Very handy. Unfolded, it measures approximately 1M in diameter. In hindsight, I should have bought something bigger like this. With light sources like reflectors, softboxes, and umbrellas, bigger is almost always better if you have enough light to throw at them. The bigger the light source, the softer the light. Small light sources are ok for things the size of a head and shoulders portrait and smaller. If you want to light a whole figure, you need something big and close in. It's easier to subtract light from a large source than it is to get a small source to cover something big.

I have made reflectors up from white foamcore. It's very inexpensive to do this and it works quite well. The problem is bulk. It's not heavy, but it doesn't fold up into a small package and it is fragile. Works fine indoors in a studio setup. Damned inconvenient if you're transporting it across town without a car.
    Last edited by fschifano; 03-26-2009 at 11:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

OMU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your quick replies.
    I’ll go for one of the convertibles. Haven't decided witch size yet.
    Think it will be handier with a smaller one, but a large one would be useful sometimes.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you want very good quality have a look at California Sunbounce and Lastolite.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A space blanket from a camping/ outdoor shop is cheap durable and folds folds up into a small space .
    Ben

OMU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, Ben.
    Probably a good idea, but my English isn't that good that I understand what you mean. Could you please explain it in other word?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A "space blanket" is just a big sheet of aluminized mylar - big enough to use as a wrap, or blanket, for a human. They work pretty well as an insulator in that application. It is windproof, and reflects body heat back to you. Works amazingly well as a light reflector too, but you still need some sort of frame to support it. It is very flimsy, but tough, material.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a "convertible" reflector, but gave it up. Too much of a PIA to change. I find it easier to have three different reflectors. I have found my "translucent" to be very handy as well. It's like a silk. You can bounce fill (to a degree) or scrim with it. The bomb to be held aloft to block dapple on subjects in pleasing dappled shade.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin