Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,254   Online: 962

Shooter
    Multi Format

Does anyone still make/sell round aluminum reflectors?

I want to make a simple setup for contacting printing my WP negs as using my Beseler 45 for a light source with Lodima paper is gruesomely slow. The old-style round aluminum reflectors would be just the thing, but when I went to the largest local photo store yesterday they had only fancy and expensive setups more suited for studio use. I can't find anything on the B&H site either, though that could just as easily be a problem with my search.

There's a big local photo show next weekend, but if I don't get lucky there, what are my options?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check Home Despot or Lowes - they often have aluminum reflectors that would work just fine for what you are trying to do.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At B&H (Sometimes it's a little difficult to track their product hierarchy.)

In days of yore, hardware stores used to sell about a 10" aluminum reflector, sometimes with a spring clamp holder and a socket. They certainly weren't the quality of official photo gear, but might work. (Of course I haven't looked for such a thing in twenty years either -- maybe they're gone!)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    In days of yore, hardware stores used to sell about a 10" aluminum reflector, sometimes with a spring clamp holder and a socket. They certainly weren't the quality of official photo gear, but might work. (Of course I haven't looked for such a thing in twenty years either -- maybe they're gone!)
    I have one of these. Works famously, six bucks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about just using an R40 Floodlight bulb? They come in many wattages and don't need an additional reflector.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For Azo I tried various light sources, and know what works best for me? A cheap Ikea halogen desk lamp with the UV filter removed. The halogen bulb doesn't put out enough UV for reasonable exposure times with alt-processes like albumen, but it's perfect for Azo and Lodima. My exposure times are usually around 30 sec. or less for an 8x10" or smaller neg targeted for Azo. Larger negs require that the light source be farther from the neg, so times are longer. I couldn't find the lamp I use on the Ikea site (I think I got mine from an old roomate who left it behind after moving), but this one is similar--

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20079200
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Tractor Supply, or any place that sells poultry stuff for raising chicks. I saw some recently at Lowe's.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ones DWThomas referenced are easily found at Home Depot, etc. Typically limited to 60-100 watt bulbs.

The "poultry" ones will often have a wider (but more shallow) reflector and a ceramic socket for higher wattage bulbs.

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Smith-Victor makes relatively inexpensive reflectors that might work for you. As always, Google Smith-Victor for a look. B&H also can get them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    $12 at Lowe's got me a nice big reflector with a ceramic socket. Thanks for the tip!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin