Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,847   Online: 680

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thanks again to everyone for all the help. This is more than I ever expected!

I agree that I will have to buy some "professional" lights at some point in the future, and I wil use the list Michael posted as a guide.

I am going to continue to experiment with a lot of different lights, and see what I can get. But I will invest in a good lighting system sometime in the near future.

I've found a lot of great used gear at B&H Photo. Last year I got a slightly used softbox, stand and Photoflex Starlite for under $200! You can search their used inventory here: http://www.bhphoto.com/

Also, you might find some ideas for cutting costs at my new web site for studio lighting at: http://www.studiolighting.net/

Regards,

-Bill
    -------------------------------------------------
    For FREE Studio Lighting Tips, Techniques, Tutorials and more visit www.StudioLighting.net

Quote Originally Posted by yoda310
    I am going to continue to experiment with a lot of different lights, and see what I can get. But I will invest in a good lighting system sometime in the near future.
    I'm a little late to this thread but just to toss in my $.02. If you can afford professional equipment get it. I think the Alien Bees monolights represent the best value right now for new pro monolights.

However... there are those who can't afford pro stuff immediately or are like me and would virtually never use it. There is nothing wrong with experimenting a bit with inexpensive equipment. I have also purchased a couple of Britek 120WS monolights for those rare times I'm shooting anything indoors. They were $89 US each and have a 150 watt halogen modeling lamp.

Shooting Portra 160 I get f11 when bouncing them off white umbrellas for a portrait. The lights are about 4-6 feet from the subject. I've also used them (just 2 lights) for group portraits of up to 8 people. I have to move the lights farther back and I only get f8 but for portraits that's small enough. In fact most of the time I'm doing a portrait I move the lights back or use the 1/2 power switch (not a lot of control range there!) to get f5.6 or f4.

More than one way to skin a cat I guess. Still if I thought I would use the lights more than half a dozen times per year I'd pay the money for Alien Bees 640WS lights I think.

Sherman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have experimented with the following (and it worked), use a large white plastic paint bucket , the big bucket sort, take a light fitting and then take the lid, cut a hole in lid to take the light fitting (also cut a series of smaller holes to act as heat vents), put 250-300 watt bulb in light fitting, put lid on, (with bulb inside), switch on, viola, cheap soft box.
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin