Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 790

Shooter
    35mm

Sunpak 433D for Canon FD

I picked up one of these from my local camera store yesterday. It seems to work perfectly on my T90. When I set the T90 to program it sets both the aperture and shutter speed, so when I switch the flash from the f8 setting to the f4 setting, the camera automatically chooses the aperture set on the flash. That's super kewl, to me.

On the A-1, it seems to do something similar, but the aperture is just a bit off. On the f8 setting on the flash, it sets the A-1 aperture (in P mode) to f6.7, and at the f11 setting, to f9.5. Does anyone know if the flash will expose correctly with those settings? I personally bounce the flash nearly every time, so the extra light will be fine, but on the rare occasion when I need direct flash, will I get overexposed pics?

I'll look for a manual online. Anyone know, is the flash TTL on the T90?
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Wolfeye;

The Sunpak System is extremely versatile. Using their adapters, it can be fitted to almost any camera made, including many of the current autofocusing models with camera control of the flash unit; kind of a TTL+.

The main problem is getting the correct Interface Module for each model of your cameras. While many of the flash shoes on the bottom of the modules look the same, the electrical wiring and electrical function of the contacts change when you go to a different camera and module. Part of the price of flash automation. As I recall, the Canon A series and the T-90 used a different Interface Module. The label on the module will be something like CA-1A or CA-1D, but I think the CA-1D is for the Canon A series of cameras, oddly enough. The manual for the 433D should have a list of the modules and what they fit. I can also look through my Sunpak literature, or in the Sunpak case and see what I have in there that might help. I think that I have 14 different Sunpak Interface Modules. Nikon seems to require many different modules among the Nikon cameras. Minolta uses 3 or 4 if you count the Standard PC connection module used with the early SR series. I use the Sunpak for testing the flash control systems on cameras. It is a lot cheaper than buying a flash for each of the cameras for testing. Also, I need to reform the capacitor in only one flash each month, instead of 14 different ones.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    I put the flash on an AE-1 Program and it sets the shutter and aperture correctly, just as it does with the T-90. So I'm thinking there is something wrong with my A-1. When the flash is set to f8 the camera shows f6.7 in the viewfinder. This is kewl for bounce flash but I suppose I should set the aperture manually if I'm shooting direct.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have any exposure compensation dialed in?

(Assuming my 25+ year old memory concerning the A-1 hasn't failed me totally).

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Nope, no compensation. That's what I thought at first too. Although, perhaps the dial is "dialed in" and it's not working at all...

Shooter
    35mm
    Nope, checked the body. With the flash off, exposure compensation works fine. With the flash on the exposure compensation ring appears to have no effect, at least on the viewfinder display.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin