Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,978   Online: 809

Thread: metz mystery

Shooter
    127 Format
    I just picked up an old Metz 45 Ct 1 on ebay, along with a couple of NiCad packs - factoring in the price of the batteries, and charger it was basically a free flash.

It all arrived, and of course I wanted to test it asap, so I put the batteries on charge, and borrowed some batteries from my girlfriend's 45 Ct 4. All worked well (with both NiCd and regular batteries) - reasonable charing times, and plausable metering.

Later that day... my batteries are charged, so I put them in the flash, and nothing happens -D'oh. Must be dead - fair enough they were old and cheap. Just to be sure I measure the voltage - they're both giving out 9volts (as they should be). Then I try my batteries in the Ct4 - they work fine.

To recap:
    Ct1 + borrowed batteries = good
    Ct4 + borrowed batteries = good
    Ct4 + my batteries = good
    Ct1 + my batteries = bad.

in other words, by a process of elimation everything works individually, but my batteries don't work with my flash!!!!

Any ideas?

thanks

Ian

The moral to the story.

Swap your batteries, with your friend's , don't tell him and everyone will be happy.

Sorry Bad Humor.

Ian I don't know. Obviously it doesn't make sense. Just for the hell of it see if your batteries have many flashes in them. Flash 20-30 times. See if it holds up. Clean the contacts. It must be something simple that you're overlooking.

Not much help sorry.

Michael MCBlane

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    The moral to the story.

Swap your batteries, with your friend's , don't tell him and everyone will be happy.

Sorry Bad Humor.

Ian I don't know. Obviously it doesn't make sense. Just for the hell of it see if your batteries have many flashes in them. Flash 20-30 times. See if it holds up. Clean the contacts. It must be something simple that you're overlooking.

Not much help sorry.

Michael MCBlane
    Oh I think this could be a great deal of help. In another life, I consistently found contact corrosion to be at least 85% of the problems with the gear we used to control --- --- --- equipment onboard ----------. The problem may not be immediately visible. I'm serious. Bad contacts on connectors, both permanent and various removables, were nearly always the culprit in our equipment, especially replaceable battery packs. Cleaning must be done carefully however. A little fine (250 or greater) sandpaper (no emory, please) and hold the solvents. A little Vaseline will protect contacts for a longer time after cleaning.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    Cleaning must be done carefully however. A little fine (250 or greater) sandpaper (no emory, please) and hold the solvents. A little Vaseline will protect contacts for a longer time after cleaning.
    One thought about cleaning contacts: A *clean* pencil eraser works well - just about the right abrasive quality - and being on the end of a pencil, allows it to be used in some fairly deep battery compartments. Use compressed air to blow away any dust remaining.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin