Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,755   Online: 902

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Joe..this is just a thought / alternative. Any of the above suggestions are excellent, so only sharing my experience. I bought two. I bought a vintage Gossen Luna Pro for about $30 for ambient light and just purchased another vintage Flash only meter for $9.99. I figured I would not be using both flash and ambient at the same time. These are excellent meters and size didn't matter to me as I lug around my MF camera anyway. I just could not stomach spending $100+..but that's just me. As I said, just another idea to kick around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NSURIT kinda gave a smart*ss answer, but in one way he's actually quite correct. If you shoot large-format and use the Zone-System, the OM-3,3Ti,4,4Ti are about the ultimate in meters that happen to also take proof images.

But, to your question, I'd actually lean more towards getting a handheld meter with a sliding incident dome. I used to have a Gossen Luna Pro which I really really liked. Currently, I use a Polaris Flash/Ambient digital meter which is equally as good for ambient and reflective readings, but lacks those dials giving equivalent exposures at a glance.

Sometimes the old technology is still the best technology for speed of use.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I normally suggest separate meters (incident, spot, and flash), because I prefer their quality and ergonomics, one of the newer mid-level Sekonic multi meters would be a good choice for what you want. Get one that allows the attachment of a spot metering accessory, so you have that option at a later date...OR just save up for the expensive one that has it built in.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Someone up-thread suggested the Gossen Digiflash. If you don't need flash metering, the Digisix does incident and reflected and is considerably cheaper - like $125 at B&H vs $170-something. I have one and while it feels like an empty plastic box in the hand, it works quite well. I doubt I would call it robust, although its light weight might result in less damage from a fall than some of the heavier numbers.

I more recently acquired a Sekonic L508 via ePrey, that does spot and flash and some other tricks, but it was over $200 used. While large, it's not all that heavy. Both meters use very available batteries (CR2032 and AA).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem with the Digisix and Digiflash is that they are horrendously overpriced for a device that must cost about 10 cents to build. They are also slow as molasses. I like them, and they would be a great option if they were priced as budget meters. They are built like and operate like a budget meter, so why not price them as such? I'd say they should be $30 or $40 meters brand new, but anything higher is highway robbery. If they were cheap, I'd buy ten of them. As it is, they cost significantly more than several far superior meters.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    The problem with the Digisix and Digiflash is that they are horrendously overpriced for a device that must cost about 10 cents to build. They are also slow as molasses.
    Hmmm -- seems to me my Digisix reads instantaneously at the click of the button. Or maybe it's relative; when I got back into B&W with older cameras, I tried to resurrect my old Gossen Super Pilot with a mercury battery work-around. You could eat a sandwich waiting for that sucker to settle on a reading. The only other meter I've seen for less money was a bottom end Sekonic for $99-something.

I would agree that the small size and trying to work all the functions into two buttons can occasionally make it disagreeably fiddly. I'm sure you're exercising some hyperbole here, but given the probably limited market volume for lightmeters and having once worked in the electronics biz, I bet the build is more like $20 to $25. Custom injection molded parts, LCD displays, etc.

Besides, compared with the Starlight, Sekonic L758 and some of the Spectra Cine meters, $125 is pocket change!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    The problem with the Digisix and Digiflash is that they are horrendously overpriced for a device that must cost about 10 cents to build. They are also slow as molasses. I like them, and they would be a great option if they were priced as budget meters. They are built like and operate like a budget meter, so why not price them as such? I'd say they should be $30 or $40 meters brand new, but anything higher is highway robbery. If they were cheap, I'd buy ten of them. As it is, they cost significantly more than several far superior meters.
    The gate time on a Digiflash reading in both ambient and flash modes is shorter than a 60 Hz cycle on a fluorescent ballast. They aren't slow in taking a reading at all. If you have one, and know how to use it, they are very fast. My Digiflash tracks across it's entire range within 1/3 stop (i.e. +/- 1/6th of a stop) of my LunaPro F. They are also excellent for fast real time comparative readings. It's small, accurate, and versatile, and it's small enough that you'll carry and use it where you wouldn't bother with a bulkier meter. The Digisix is about $125 the last time I checked. Prices on both it and the Digiflash are down about $50 compared to a year ago. I wouldn't call either a budget meter in terms of features or performance, even compared with the many models of Sekonic, Gossen, and Minolta ambient/flash/color meters I've used over the years both in studio and on location.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds to me like he is probably shooting 35mm. If so, I'll still stick to my Olympus OM 3. 3T, 4 or 4T suggestion. Should be able to keep it in his budget if those are USDs and if he has a little patience. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By my "slow" statement, I meant the digital two-button layout. Slow to change EI, only can move in one direction, have to hold the one button down until it beeps, etc. Every meter out there that I have ever use actually takes the reading itself as fast as I could want. That is not what I meant. I want a meter with which I can just grab an independent mechanical part with printed/engraved information, and just turn/flip/etc. that part to make the changes I want to make. As I said, they are great budget meters, and I like them for that purpose, but I would not pay anywhere near as much as they cost, given the other options.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    G'day,
    I use the Sekonic L358. Ambient as well as flash. Weather proof and a spot attachment. Reads in EV if you want. Got mine at a great price on that E site.
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin