Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,127   Online: 849

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak safelight filter question

Hello,
    I may purchase a Kodak safelight with with a GBX-2 filter. This is a "dark red" filter. I am hoping that filter will be okay for use with "standard" B&W printing. I'm using ilford multigrade paper with their chemistry.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Howard

The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep. - Paul Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hvandam2 View Post
    Hello,
    I may purchase a Kodak safelight with with a GBX-2 filter. This is a "dark red" filter. I am hoping that filter will be okay for use with "standard" B&W printing. I'm using ilford multigrade paper with their chemistry.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Look for an OC. The GBX-2 is for x-ray film. Test it, though it might still be ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What size? I think I've got a 5 1/2". If it's what you need you can have it for shipping.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dark red works for all types of paper and some orthochromatic film. OC is alright for some papers, most eastern European papers require red.The only down side to dark red is its dark, and hard to see, OC is considerable brighter , but not as safe.

Rick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hvandam2 View Post
    Any recommendations?
    Test.

Test any safelight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. Testing is something I must do. Testing the safelight is mentioned several places on this site and the Ilford introduction to printing. A short task that probably seems not to important until one has to look at a foggy print.
    Howard

The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep. - Paul Strand

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin