Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,347   Online: 1149

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Look for natural fill (walls, reflections from windows, etc)! This can make for great shots. If I use fill flash in broad daylight, I typically set it about 2 stops under the main exposure (on the F100 I found that -1.7 worked great in TTL). If I'm not using flash (this is normal), I tend to overexpose a bit in bright light, losing highlights for shadow detail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i usually go 1.5 stops under. in the above portrait i used 1.5 under t hen adjusted my shutter 2 stops faster. that pretty much had my flash as my main light, i was trying to get more of a studio look than an outdoors shot. i would never use fill for street shots or landscapes. good luck
    "Why thats one of those old black and white cameras aint it?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Kal, since you are more inclined to use natural light, I'd say leave the flash at home. If you're worried about shadow detail then why not handle that in the development and the printing phase. Besides, shadows can be very effective....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Flash can be a pretty handy tool in the kit. Check out the Strobist site, read a bit and see if you can pick up enough to have confidence in yourself when on your trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These responses are wonderful...and cover pretty much my whole conundrum...I shouldn't have expected less!

I do know how to do fill-flash, though as 2F and a few have mentioned, when I have had the flash with me on trips, I have never used it. I am talking here of my latest flash which is a canon Speedlite 580EX. It's big and epensive and it seems crazy to drag it all the way across the world to either not get used or get stolen (GOD FORBID!)

I do have an old fixed head 220EZ, and the comments in this thread and some PM's have got me thinking small may well be ideal here. I am only looking for it in portrait situations, and so can leave out the bounce capability etc, and I can bring it out for specific occaisions, take little room, and not unnerve anyone with a huge appendage to the camera...going to test it out, since it has been 10 years since it was last used...fingers crossed..

By the way, my approach to fill varies. In general to create some background separation under-exposing the scene by about half a stop, and knocking about a stop off the flash compensation seems to work fine in relatively low contrast type light. For high backlight, I ironically find (at least with Canon) over exposing the flash by a stop seems to displace the shadows...anyway, long time since I did it...

Rgds, Kal
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Something as simple as a newspaper can make an effective reflector to fill in the shadows.

Obviously, avoid the harsh noon day sun & shoot people either early or late in the day.

I use fill-in a lot with people shots outdoors in almost any light (my preference is 1.5 stops) - it avoids the p*ss hole in the snow look around their eyes while retaining a natural look

Martin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin