Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,932   Posts: 1,522,191   Online: 1122

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Some samples of my ringflash portraits:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bosaiya, it's my understanding that ring flashes are used at the position of the lens. So how can there be a big shadow under the chin of the man in the first example?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Bosaiya, it's my understanding that ring flashes are used at the position of the lens. So how can there be a big shadow under the chin of the man in the first example?
    They usually are used there, but this is not part of the definition of a ring light. It is the "donut-like" physical arrangement of the lights that defines a ring light. There are many pre-made ring flash heads that can be placed wherever you want them.

...of course, then they don't look like a ring light, but pretty much like any other large, direct, round light source, so I fail to see the point.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    That's certainly one way to skin the proverbial cat, there are of course other ways. These particular cats were skinned with more than one light.

To quote from Megashark vs Giant Octopus "Note the eye(s)"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    ...of course, then they don't look like a ring light, but pretty much like any other large, direct, round light source, so I fail to see the point.
    They look different than, say, a beauty dish - at least to me. There's still a certain amount of light falloff that is hard to duplicate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosaiya View Post
    They look different than, say, a beauty dish - at least to me. There's still a certain amount of light falloff that is hard to duplicate.
    They do look different...because a beauty dish provides a reflected quality of light, not a direct one.

A ring light separate from the camera is simply an oversized "donut-style" flash tube, like those used in standard Dynalite heads. (I am sure that type of flash tube has a real name, not "donut-style, BTW.) What it does is that, at a given distance, it increases the size of the light source relative to the subject, which does soften the light. They allow you to use a direct light, but to make it a bit softer by way of sheer relative size compared to a bare "donut-style" flash tube. You can do this simply by moving a standard head closer to the subject. There may be the fact, however, that some people simply love to buy expensive things just because they are fun!
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 02-10-2010 at 08:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosaiya View Post
    Some samples of my ringflash portraits:

These make me want to borrow a ring flash and try some experiments!

Bosaiya:

1) do you use a ring flash for your insect photographs?

2) do you ever get people asking you for portrait work because they have seen your insect photographs?

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sounds good to me. I like them no matter what they're called, a rose by any other name and all that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    These make me want to borrow a ring flash and try some experiments!
    You should, they're lots of fun.

1) do you use a ring flash for your insect photographs?
    No, those are lit with point lights for modelling and overhead for general illumination.

2) do you ever get people asking you for portrait work because they have seen your insect photographs?
    Yes, sometimes. I don't really like working with people all that much though.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Strobist website did a bunch of works using ringflash. Ultimately using a ring flash as the main light in high-key situations with shallow backgrounds gets old. However, a ring flash as a fill light with a strong, side or directional key light makes for great drama.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin