Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,405   Online: 1085

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beautgrainger147 View Post
    Assuming I use two flashes next to one another with the same guide number, does that mean I'll get 1 stop more distance? (as in twice the power)
    Mostly yes (but maybe slightly no) .

Guide numbers are strange beasts.

When manufacturers determine guide numbers, there is usually at least some reflected light (off surfaces like ceilings or walls) involved. The conditions used may affect the results, and most likely were at least slightly different for the two different flashes.

In addition, two different flashes may have different angles of coverage.

So if you put two different flashes side by side, you may get light that is at least a little bit different than if you had two copies of the same flash side by side.

It cannot hurt to experiment.

Matt

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    it all makes sense

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by beautgrainger147 View Post
    I wondered how people go on using multiple flashes on the manual settings?
    - specifically the formula. I tend to use a medium format folding camera and have now installed a pc socket on my crown graphic and have been thinking about dual flash guns for increasing the range but also for lighting a subject from two directions.

Thankyou
    J Grainger
    I always use a flash meter to read the rendition of each of the flash sources on the area that it is lighting.

I also read the principal area to be lit and imagine the difference prior to testing and take a test image.

Ben :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin