Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,072   Online: 944

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Additional Input To Old Post: I bought a used 45-CL1 with a battery holder for Alkaline batteries (based on position of the negative post). The CL version is the newest of this model. It is my understanding that Metz never made a battery holder for the end user to add their own rechargeable batteries. The only rechargeable battery holders are the Metz made ones with permanent batteries inside - either NiCad version or NiMH.

My battery holder DOES have a capacitor wired in. I assume it is a capacitor anyway. My guess as to the purpose is that it is an improvement to the older battery holder for the Alkaline batteries. The main problem with the Alkaline batteries is the voltage and battery capacity decline rather rapidly. The capacitor may assist the batteries as they start to decline, almost like an extra battery. When the main flash capacitor is charging, the small capacitor and the batteries are discharging. When the main capacitor is done charging, then the small capacitor can recharge from the batteries getting ready to assist during the next cycle. I am not an electrical engineer or anything close to this, so I could be completely wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, my 45CL-4Digital unit came with an NiMH battery pack, so their 1.2 volts must be fine. Use the rechargable NiMH batteries and things get better. One thing that has been overlooked in the discussion of voltage differences and that is the category of differences in internal resistance of the different batteries. Perhaps Li batteries will allow too much current, too fast. I don't know what to think of that, though, because my NiMH batteries are fast.

I recently bought a Metz 54-MZ-4i and its manual does not list Li batteries as a permissible power source; it only lists NiMH, NiCd, and Alkaline as acceptable.
    Geo.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the Hasselblad version. There must be a hundred articles on these battery holders on the internet. They were not made to be re-celled but can be.

I think the easiest answer for an amateur doing occasional use is just to use alkalines in the holders meant for them. If I had it all to do over again I might do that.

What I did first was to re-cell the rechargeable battery holders with NiMH. This is not recommended (because the charger is not meant for them) but it worked.

Then I found a Quantum Battery 2 and an adapter for this flash, and put a new battery in the Quantum unit. This was the best way overall. Quantums with dead batteries are very inexpensive and you need to be just a little handy with electrical things to replace the batteries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by skruft View Post
    I have the Hasselblad version. There must be a hundred articles on these battery holders on the internet. They were not made to be re-celled but can be.
    . . .

What I did first was to re-cell the rechargeable battery holders with NiMH. This is not recommended (because the charger is not meant for them) but it worked.

. . .
    Good morning;

The use of a battery charger designed for Nickel-Cadmium cells and then used with Nickel-Metal-Hydride cells is not a problem. Most of those battery chargers will work fine with both of those two battery chemistry types.

A few words about Lithium-Ion batteries: The Ni-Cad/Ni-MH battery chargers are not compatible with the newer Lithium-Ion battery cells. You must get and use a charger specifically designed for that battery chemistry . You might be surprised at the price for one, but keep in mind that the Lithium-Ion batteries do need to have special precautions observed if they are to work safely. Yes, there have been fires not only with laptop computers but even with cellular telephones with that type of battery. Since the recognition by the battery industry of the need for special protective circuitry with these batteries, this kind of thing is now back down to the "rare" incidence level again. Just be careful of what you are buying with the Lithium-Ion type batteries. If the price really seems to be a bargain in comparison with what you have been paying, it is possible that this particular manufacturer may be cutting costs by leaving out of that battery things that really should be in there.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use 45 Ct-4 and Eneloops are a perfect substitute for any kind of battery.

Shooter
    35mm
    an additional comment: On my old 45 CT 1 I have measured a voltage of over 230 V between the two contacts of the plug if it is charged! This high ignition voltage maybe can damage modern electronic cameras. There was a certain serial-number after which the voltage was lower and safe.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    No capacitor in the AA holder of my 45CL3 or 45CT4. The original owner manual provides no explicit warning against the use of rechargeables in the 45-39 AA holder, although the instructions do say "use only alkaline manganese batteries of size IEC LR 6 (penlight cells size AA)"

The 45-40 Nicad pack from Metz is not one that is designed for the user to remove and replace cells. The Nicads in this holder are factory installed in the pack.
    I just rechecked my two battery holders and indeed found a black capacitor in both battery holders, which I neglected to see due to its location.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin