Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,425   Online: 886

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Any Metz 45 CL/CT users out there… Hassy Proflash 4504 users can likewise chime in

Recently picked up 4 used “AA” battery holders (part #45-39/5312) for my flash units (ProFlash and 45 CL4).

Noticed that some (2 out of the 4) are missing what appears to be a built in capacitor (?)

What is it, (Is it a capacitor?) what is it for, and more importantly which ones should I use or not use for that matter?

Thanks in advance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The AA holders I have for my 45CT-1s don't have any capacitor or other electronics. Are they all the same part number?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 45 CT-3 and my holder, 45-39 has what appear to be a capacitor.

It is a capacitors for when I quickly removed the batteries and connected a volt meter, it registered the same value and slowly dissipated. The only device that will exhibit this kind of characteristics are capacitors. Judging from the rate of decline, I suspect the values are rather high.... perhaps tens of microF or something like that. (I'm guessing here based on experience) I am not able to read the value on the device itself because of they way it is installed. What IS weird is that most capacitors of this style usually have a distinct mark of its polarity. I don't see it.

I have no idea why it is there though. Batteries themselves act like a very large capacitor and I can't think of any reason why it is necessary.

You might want to e-mail Metz and ask its tech directly. There is a link to send e-mails at its website. Few days ago, I asked a question and I got a reply (a very lengthy reply) in few days.

I'm sorry I can't be more of an assistance.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a guess only.

Could one version of the holders be designed for use with rechargeable AA cells?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is what works in my 45 CT-1. 6 AA rechargeable batteries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    That is what works in my 45 CT-1. 6 AA rechargeable batteries
    Using ordinary Ni-Cads or Lithium cells in the alkaline battery pack of the Metz 45 series can cause damage to you're flash, because it makes it operate at too high a voltage, the only re- chargeable ones that should be used are the Metz Ni-Cad pack.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks to all who have responded....

Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    You might want to e-mail Metz and ask its tech directly. There is a link to send e-mails at its website. Few days ago, I asked a question and I got a reply (a very lengthy reply) in few days.......
    Yes, I sent them an e-mail a few days ago and am hoping for a reply

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    This is a guess only.

Could one version of the holders be designed for use with rechargeable AA cells?

Matt
    Matt... I think you are right on target!

I did some "Googling" and came up with the following link from Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/421691@...57604782479002

If you scroll down, you'll see some pics of what I am talking about (what looks like a capacitor, which may turn out to be a "overload/fuse" according to what I am reading on this post from flickr.

Now I am NOT suggesting anyone modify the battery holders as some have done according to the flickr postings, but this does explain what this is for.

Hoping for an official response from Metz, and if/when I get one I'll post that too.

Again, thanks one and all

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Metz 45 comes with two different types of holders. One to use with NiCads and one to use with ordinary batteries.
    The capacitor is not the only thing that separates them, but it is the most obvious. The contact layout between the two is different. There is one common pin and on that is differently placed between the holders (if you look inside the flash you will see three contacts of which two will be used for each holder).
    To me it sounds like you have two holders for rechargable cells and two for AA batterise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose that makes sense, as the voltage, discharge rate, and capacity of ni-cads would be less.

But please let us know what Metz says if/when you hear from them.

I'd also be curious if the holders designed for ni-cads could also be used with nimh cells.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Using ordinary Ni-Cads or Lithium cells in the alkaline battery pack of the Metz 45 series can cause damage to you're flash, because it makes it operate at too high a voltage, the only re- chargeable ones that should be used are the Metz Ni-Cad pack.
    Ordinary NiCads provide a lower voltage. Not higher.
    I have used NiCads for eons in the battery holder, and never a problem (except with capacity).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin