Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,861   Posts: 1,583,172   Online: 731

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Miniature Flash Bulbs - a nickle tutorial please

I have just acquired a Kalart Speed Flash for use with my B&J 4x5 Press Camera and an M Bulb bayonet style adapter. I have found that Cole's Cameras seems to have the best pricing on miniature style (M) bulbs.

My question is what is the difference between M-2, M-3 and M-5 bulbs?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris,
    Check out Bill Cress' website:

flashbulbs.com

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    That is a really useful website (nice to look at too). I'm going to have to dig up my old Nikon BC-7.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I already did. I thought I had mistakenly Googled 'flash boobs'. And I actually got zero info before just closing the thing.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The difference is amount of light. IIRC M2s have less power than M3s. You'll sometimes see a B as in M3B which means the bulbs are coated blue to balance with daylight color film.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cress has some Guide Number tables in the technical section that are very useful. What sort of information are you looking for specifically?

Another great resource online is: graflex.org

Go to the helpboard and then go to the "Flash Help" forum. Those guys have about a million years experience and will certainly try to help.

Here is a little of what I know:

The M-2, M-3, etc bulbs were generally for use with a flashgun with a small reflector (like 3 inch). Using these bulbs with a 4-5 inch reflector you need to compensate by adding a stop. If you use a 7 inch reflector, you should add a couple of stops. The M-2 bulbs I know can be used with "M" synch on the front shutters of most of the press cameras that were made after about 1941 or so. You may need to get yourself a sync cord as most of the old cords had a natural rubber insulation that has become brittle and causes a lot of problems. It really would help if you could provide some more information about your camera and what you want to do with it.
    Last edited by mopar_guy; 02-07-2010 at 11:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    I have just acquired a Kalart Speed Flash for use with my B&J 4x5 Press Camera and an M Bulb bayonet style adapter. I have found that Cole's Cameras seems to have the best pricing on miniature style (M) bulbs.

My question is what is the difference between M-2, M-3 and M-5 bulbs?
    Why would you want to use the wretched things?

I was never so happy as the day I purchased my first Honeywell Strobonar and ditched the flash bulb equipment.

Now please don't tell me it's because they are better and brighter or that you want to shoot like O. Winston Link.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    Why would you want to use the wretched things?

I was never so happy as the day I purchased my first Honeywell Strobonar and ditched the flash bulb equipment.

Now please don't tell me it's because they are better and brighter or that you want to shoot like O. Winston Link.
    I like the way that it smells after you set one off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris,
    I just saw an auction over on we-pray that showed a Kalart De-Luxe Speed Flash. It had a handle that would hold two "D" ceels and a bracket that would screw into the tripod socket on the bottom of a camera. Is that what your's looks like.

Shooter
    35mm
    The only reason I would use one - in my case an FP-class bulb, which it appears Cress stocks - would be for high-speed sync on the Nikon F.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin