Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,169   Online: 1097

Shooter
    Medium Format

BRONCOLOR Pulso A4 Need Schematics

Just did something realy stupid. The fan on my Pulso A4 pack stoped running so i pulled the cover off and removed the fan then i was getting a reading to see if any voltage was getting to the fan and yes there was 16vdc. I then sent an email off to Broncolor to find out the specs of the fan so i could get another. I went back to the pack to make shure it was 16vdc when the probe from my meter sliped and shorted something out. It caused a spark and triped the house safety switch. I went to turn it back on then heard a sound like a relay clunking then POP and smoke. I think i just killed it. My dad is a retired electrical engineer and looks like ive brought him out of retirement but to help him allong i need to try and get my hands on the schematics. Does anyone have the schematics or service manual on the Broncolor Pulso A4.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Assuming you were under warranty, it's probably now void. But even if it isn't, wouldn't this be a good time to let Broncolor have the unit before you hurt yourself?
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The pack is 20 years old so the warranty is out and got quoted Australian $120 p/h at Broncolor. And yes should have left it alone. More like Killed myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any strobe pack has capacitors that could be fully charged. It could discharge on you. It's a Pandora's box best left closed. Leave it to a professional.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I didn't mean to come across as if I were scolding you; @mainecoonmaniac has stated the danger. You really could kill yourself.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There will be most likely dual voltage doubler or trippler circuits that likely build up a positive and negative dc banks of capacitors to between 300 and 450 voltegs above and below ground potential.

I have in the past inadvertently shorted a capacitor in a modestly small shoe mounted flash powered by 4-AA's and it sounded like a rifle shot. It also burned the corner off of the screw driver I was prying in the area to try to figure out where an intermittent pcboard crack was.

So I have immense respect for my Spedotron pack. It has a design that dumps the charge though a pair of power resistiors when a control relay senses that the pack has been turned off. I still test extensively with a voltage probe when I am openning the pack up to change jumper settings.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    when I worked at a camera store here in LA, the whole store received deaf ears for a day after one of the rental guys discharged a pack, and a head completely blew up.

he got glass in the face too, wasn't a nice day for him

leave it to a pro, especially Bron . They're like rolex's, swiss, and very precise. With schematics only an electrical-engineer could read .

-Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin