Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,367   Online: 804

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

430Ex on old camera?

My trusty 30 year old Sunpak 130 has disappeared, i suspect i lost it on my last trip, misplaced, dropped it, whatever, no where to be found. Now i have thought about getting a Canon 430 EX, but will that flash work on old cameras too? I suspect it will but only in full manual mode, right? (only reason i am thinking about the 430 EX is that i also have Canon digital. )

My old flash also had two auto modes, no fancy TTL, it had its own little metering eye. The 430 EX cannot meter on its own, right? If that is true, can it tell the distance it will reach at some iso-setting and f-number? (i do not like the thought of carry around guide number cheat-tables)

Any other suggestions regarding a flash that also can be used with different old cameras?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Technically it can work but it might not be ideal unless you really enjoy doing a lot of math in your head with guide numbers.

I usually use a Vivitar 285HV with my older cameras. Works great & has an exposure calculator wheel on the side, plus some auto levels that are really handy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've just started using my 430EX on a Minolta XD11. It works, but no idea as yet how well. No doubt it's going to take several rolls of film, some serious experimentation and a lot of note taking to have it do what I want (whatever that is :rolleyes: ).
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    Technically it can work but it might not be ideal unless you really enjoy doing a lot of math in your head with guide numbers.
    Well of course, it is made for modern Canons.. But using manually i have no problems with since i have never ever used a modern TTL-capable flash. The math part is not necessary with most 30 year old flashes since they usually have some sort of mechanical calculator with f-numbers, distance and iso. I am asking how well the 430 EX works manually, what it can tell me in its display and so forth. Does it have some electronic equivalent to the mechanical calculator? (that is like the basic of electronics, a simple calculator)

If i shoot iso-100 at f8 and have the flash zoom on 28mm, will it tell me distance at 1/4 power according to that f-stop?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My recommendation is to buy a flash that will work on both of your cameras. I run both my cameras and flashes on manual. There are situations where I will use a ETTL flash as either a main or a fill flash but I do that because I need to get things done rather quickly at certain gigs during particular times during the event.

TTL & ETTL is not always the best way to operate a flash. It can be fooled. But so can I! Ha!

I'm more in tune with what's going on in front of the camera than the equipment I use. Using the equipment becomes second nature. Just like speaking, the words seem to come out. Maybe that's why, I should spend more time thinking before I speak! Ha!

Good luck.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is nothing useful on the display in terms of a calculator. I do have a 430EX but only use it with Canon EOS bodies. From the display you can set the power output in terms of 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, etc. The guide number is not posted anywhere to indicate to you what these power levels really mean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use my SB-28DX (ca. 1999-2002) on my original Mamiya M645 on the hot shoe.

The 28DX only works TTL on 90s or later film Nikons and the D1 and D100. Doesn't even TTL on the D70.

You could just set your flash to auto and forget it. Mine exposes very nicely when matching the film's ISO, matching the f/stop @ 1/60.

That said, Canon does cripple their flashes - no PC port! Nikon puts them on most their flashes, and flashes from the 90s through 2004 can be found cheaply (local only, usually overpriced on the bay). You loose TTL with your digital body, but you'll gain some functionality.
    Many of these flashes also have an optical slave.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by steelneck View Post
    My trusty 30 year old Sunpak 130 has disappeared, i suspect i lost it on my last trip, misplaced, dropped it, whatever, no where to be found. Now i have thought about getting a Canon 430 EX, but will that flash work on old cameras too? I suspect it will but only in full manual mode, right? (only reason i am thinking about the 430 EX is that i also have Canon digital. )

My old flash also had two auto modes, no fancy TTL, it had its own little metering eye. The 430 EX cannot meter on its own, right? If that is true, can it tell the distance it will reach at some iso-setting and f-number? (i do not like the thought of carry around guide number cheat-tables)

Any other suggestions regarding a flash that also can be used with different old cameras?

I'm not sure what brand of camera you have. If it's a Canon, it is definitely compatible. I tried my 540EZ on my AE-1P, and it worked great (but manual mode only). It even automatically set the camera to the sync speed.

Shooter
    35mm

SB-28DX works on older cameras just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by r1ma View Post
    The 28DX only works TTL on 90s or later film Nikons and the D1 and D100. Doesn't even TTL on the D70.
    I wonder where you got that from. I have an SB-28DX, and it works just fine in TTL mode on my FE-2. Also, I believe that the D70 and D200 both offer DTTL as an option, so the SB-28DX may actually work TTL on these cameras (but not CLS).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    I wonder where you got that from. I have an SB-28DX, and it works just fine in TTL mode on my FE-2.
    Really? That's cool. I know it doesn't work on my FM. I know it works on a F4 too, and that came out in 88. But this doesn't matter to the OP

Also, I believe that the D70 and D200 both offer DTTL as an option, so the SB-28DX may actually work TTL on these cameras (but not CLS).
    All the paperwork I've read says no. But I've never used a D70 or D200 so I have knowledge of it. It won't work TTL on a D50 though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin