Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,048   Posts: 1,610,884   Online: 1158

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Comparing Metz handle flashes.

I'm going to pickup a handle mount flash to use with a variety of cameras. I'll be using the flash in manual mode with a 301 adapter to start with before buying any specific adapter, and 90% of the time the flash will be used on a stand. I'm comparing the 60 CT4, 45 CL4 and the 50 MZ5 series as I like the secondary fill flash since I'll be bouncing the main flash. The 50 MZ-5 apparently takes a more expensive battery but am unsure about using a battery pack with it. I'll be buying used so will probably expect replacing any battery. I'd appreciate your thoughts on a choice. Thanks.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 45 series will allow you to use AA batteries as well as a Quantum (or similar battery). I believe the 60 works only with a separate battery pack. I'm not sure about AC adapters which might be most important if using on a stand. When buying used, make sure the head will stay in the desired bounce position - sometime the detents get worn.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    The 45 series will allow you to use AA batteries as well as a Quantum (or similar battery). I believe the 60 works only with a separate battery pack. I'm not sure about AC adapters which might be most important if using on a stand. When buying used, make sure the head will stay in the desired bounce position - sometime the detents get worn.
    I have both the 45 CL4 and the 60 CT4 and that's right the 45 CL4 can use either a Ni-Cad battery pack or ordinary AA batteries the 60 CT4 uses expensive either Ni- Cad or Dry fit rechargeable battery packs not AA batteries. Rechargeable batteries need to be fully charged and fully discharged regularly if they are constantly topped up they loose capacity until eventually they will hardly accept a charge at all. I don't use flash all that often and find that ordinary AA cells are fine, because rechargeable s if they aren't used often loose their charge.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-15-2010 at 02:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like the 60CT series flashes. I have a 60CT2, and a 60CT1.

I bought my 60CT2 new back in the late 1970s and, with the exception of having to replace the battery once or twice, it has worked fine. It interfaces with the TTl metering on my Olympus 35mm cameras, but I've used it mostly with my Mamiya TLRs - I've shot a fair number of weddings with that flash.

The 60CT4 replaced the 60CT2 in the Metz line.

The 60CT1 was a more recent eBay purchase - acquired quite inexpensively as a backup.

I like the fact that the battery is both heavy and held in a separate, over-the-shoulder battery pack. That battery, although expensive, has tremendous capacity, and usually results in fast recycle times. I used to have no problem shooting most of an entire wedding (100 - 200 shots in those days) on a single charge, with little or no increase in recycle time.

Moving the battery and the charging circuitry to the separate power pack results in a large but light flash head. The relatively heavy power pack hangs easily either on a shoulder, or from a light stand, where it adds stability.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I, for one, don't like the 60-series.
    They are large and heavy. A two part affair, one part hanging off your shoulder, always swinging about, the other part in your hand, with a cable running between them. And you have to rely on the power pack: if it is empty, you can't resort to the ubiquitous AA-batteries, but have no other option than to recharge the thing wait until it has power again.
    And for what? They don't produce significantly more light. Nor faster cycle times. Nor more capacity (i.e.: the big, heavy, separate power pack outweighs and 'out-annoys' what you have to do with the smaller, lighter, one part 45-series units to get equal capacity: carry some spare batteries.)

The more recent 76-series (formerly known as "50", reflecting - as do the names of the elder series - the guide number when set to work with a standard lens) is better, yet still rather big, still a two part affair (though it is now the control unit that is separate - but it goes on top of the camera, not on your shoulder) and despite the flattering name, also only marginally more powerfull than the 45-series.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 04-15-2010 at 07:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Comparing Metz handle units

Dittos to Q.G. on this one.

I have a couple of 60 CT's somewhere... have not used one in years.
    The battery packs are a pain in the a** and ridiculously expensive.

I now use a pair of 54MZ's and love them. I use standard (buy off the shelf anywhere) 6 volt, 4.5 amp-hour batteries. I made the quick-release battery cable from a good quality audio jack soldered to a quantum battery insert.

The belt-loop on the lens pouch wraps around the light stand or tripod leg.

My battery "case" is a small lens pouch. $12.00.
    The batteries cost $8.00. (1/10 the cost of the Metz)
    The quantum part cost $25.00.

*Forgot the obvious, the $8.00 batteries are rechargeable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Metz.jpg  
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 04-15-2010 at 08:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Forgot the obvious

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Q.G. and I have had this discussion before .

I think that the most important things to take from the discussion are:

1) if possible, you should handle the options yourself, so you can gauge the differences; and
    2) YMMV.

FWIW, the grey cubes shown in Thomas Wilson's photo attachment shown above are the batteries used in the Metz 60 CTs.

When you consider the differences, and consider our comments, it probably is important to realize that I tend to use the (lighter than 45 series) 60CT flash heads mounted on a bracket which attaches to the camera bracket itself.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Metz 45CT has a GN of 45 meters; the 54MZ has a GN of 54 meters. But the 54MZ (and 58AF1) have deceptive GN just like ever other zoom head flash unit!!! If you put the 54MZ at the same 35mm coverage angle as the 45CT, the 45CT still has a GN of 45 but the 54MZ has a LESS powerful GN!!!

All zoom head flash manufacturers overblow the 'power' simply by quoting what it does when zoomed to 105mm coverage angle! Deceptive BS

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    All zoom head flash manufacturers overblow the 'power' simply by quoting what it does when zoomed to 105mm coverage angle! Deceptive BS
    Indeed.
    That's how Metz - who always use the GN in their type descriptions - suddenly promoted the 50 to a 76 unit. They forgot they could 'blow up' the GN, so they 'corrected' that mistake.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The 60 ct-1 and ct-2 routinely sell on ebay for less than $100. Considering the amount of power (300 watt seconds) and the versatility (fresnel attachments and incremental manual output control with the mecamat) this is truly a wonderful thing. Once you figure out how to rig them to a stand (I like to utilize the 1/4-20 receivers on the bottom of the power supply to maffer clamp the heavy batteries to the legs of a c-stand) they can be extremely versatile for location work. Mount three of these babies together, synch them with a paramount 3-way pc cord and you have the power of a profoto 7b at about an eighth of the cost albeit with 7" recycle times at full power and long flash duration times (like 1/125th of a second). If you plan to use them this way it's best to power with a 220 Ah 6 volt golfcart battery (thanks to Mike Wilde for this tip!) as the factory power supply is a measly 4.5 Ah. BTW, I wouldn't dare drape these things over my shoulder - that's like so mid-eighties...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin