Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,759   Posts: 1,484,017   Online: 1226

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Recommendations for a small lightmeter

Looking for recommendations for a small light meter that does well in low light. I have (and like) a Minolta IVF and a Pentax Spotmeter, but want something small to use with my Russian rangefinder. Outdoors I'm OK with sunny 16, but need help indoors.

Searching, I read good things about the Gossen Digisix and the Sekonic L-208. Any thoughts on these? Any other recommendations?

Again, size and low light capability are key.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently bought the Gossen digisix, and have been very happy with it's performance in low light and expecially the size of the unit. If you look at the specs for the Sekonic, I believe that is not nearly as sensitive in low light.
    Marty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Sekonic Studio Delux L-398, use it for everything. Only wish it was more sensitive in low light.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to own the classic Gossen Lunapro. That one was outstanding for indoor work. But these days I use combo flash/ambient meters. Not as good on the lowest end, though.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    35mm
    The Sekonic 308 series uses an AA battery, slips into a pocket and is very good in low light. Does both incident and reflected readings and can usually be found for less than US$200.

I've had good experience with the Gossen Scout and Pilot but haven't used their newer meters.

Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Looking for recommendations for a small light meter that does well in low light. I have (and like) a Minolta IVF and a Pentax Spotmeter, but want something small to use with my Russian rangefinder. Outdoors I'm OK with sunny 16, but need help indoors.

Searching, I read good things about the Gossen Digisix and the Sekonic L-208. Any thoughts on these? Any other recommendations?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Digisix and Digiflash are nice.
    Small, so not too many buttons, so you have to press them often to change a setting.
    And the buttons are rather exposed, so are pressed a bit too easy accidentally.
    But still very nice meters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post

I've owned both. Between them, I much prefer the
    Sekonic -- I prefer the Sekonic's needle to the Gossen's
    digital readout. And the Gossen eats batteries fast.
    Just don't drop the Sekonic -- it doesn't like to be
    dropped. (Happily, Sekonic will repair the meter if
    you do drop it. But don't.)

If you can bear a bit more size and heft, I second the
    recommendation above for the L-398 Studio Deluxe.
    I still use the L-208 on occasion but the L-398 is a
    sweet, reliable, and compact instrument.
    Sanders McNew
    My Flickr stream

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Joe above said, Sekonic L308 is a good choice - compact, light and rather sensitive. I don't like its digital readout, though.

I prefer my old Quantum Calcu-Light XP - about the size of the Sekonic L308, but has a nice wheel, providing you with all available combinations at a glance - somewhat like the lightmeters of old (e.g. Westons, etc.).
    Calcu-Light is also VERY sensitive...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pocket Spot by Metered Light.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Sekonic L398 is not an especially good low light meter, nor is it small.
    The Digisix & Sekonic L208 are both small & lightweight, I bought a used Digiflash for $75 & don't really need the flash meter function. What can I say? it was $75.
    The Sekonic L-308s has a slightly better low light sensitivity than the 208 & is still pretty compact.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin