Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,262   Online: 853

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    ..........Live subjects melt under the heat, products may overheat and if something like photographing a camera, may harm it....... If shooting color, you have to filter to correct color.......Burns from careless handling, and popping expensive bulbs if move while filament is hot.......

.......Studio strobes with modeling lights are color corrected, don't have the excessive heat, easier to modify the light, especially with homemade or improvised light set ups. ........
    The best move I ever made (lighting wise), was to junk all my hot lights and move to studio strobe lighting. Everything I could do with the hot lights, I can now do with studio strobes. That includes the theatrical follow spots and fresnels that I converted to strobes.

Yes, studio strobes are a bigger initial expense, but well worth it!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I started off using a flouro softbox for portraits. The light is continuous, but not hot, so subjects don't melt. The light is very soft and broad, since it's an array 9 flouro bulbs. Another thing I like is i can use a regular reflective spot meter to really dial in the light ratios, so I didn't have to learn to use a flash meter.

It's an easy to use setup, but it doesn't quite give me enough light, however. I end up shooting around f5.6 at 30th using ASA 320 film. It is also not every portable. The array is bulky and heavy.

I'm moving to a monolight (Alienbees) with a few small strobes as fill, and an umbrella that I've modified to give a softer light. I've learned to use a flash meter, though it doesn't give me the tight control that spot meter does.

So flouro hotlight: good place to start, but you hit its limitations quickly. Want to buy one?
    Vince Donovan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like strobes because my models pupils stay large.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding View Post
    I like strobes because my models pupils stay large.
    So your model's a teacher with overweight students? :0
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hot lights have the advantage if your camera is incapable of syncing with a flash
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidearm613 View Post
    Hot lights have the advantage if your camera is incapable of syncing with a flash
    Not necessarily. If you have a way of holding the shutter open and firing the strobes, then you can use open flash technique, just like they did in the days of flash powder. I've done that with lenses that don't have a shutter. The strobes will be at least four or five stops brighter than ambient, so you don't even need to turn the lights off in the room to do this, and it's not hard to have a sync speed of 1/2 second or less just by removing and replacing the lens cap.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have preferred strobes so far, but I believe it's easier to learn lighting techniques using hot lights because you can see everything when you make changes. But then again, modeling lights are available on studio strobes, so you have that option too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hot lights are from the past today you use LEDs;--)))
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I used strobes for years (flashes for those in the UK). I think I have five monolights and all the reflectors, softboxes, umbrella's, toys that you could want.

About two years ago I bought five Smith Victor hot lights.... reflectors, barndoors, screens etc. My photography has improved with the switch. Although the strobes had modeling lights I just couldn't see exactly where the flash was going to go. With the hot lights I see exactly what I'm getting.

For me switching to hot lights moved me from being another guy with flashes, to a photographer who could really light.

Your mileage may vary.

-Rob Skeoch
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have monoblock and a battery pack light kit as well as a ton of lowel lights
    totas, omnis and the old L-(lowel) lights that take floods.

i use the battery pack one on location when there are no plugs,
    and i would rather use the lowel-stuff than anything else ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin