Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,620   Online: 673

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've found that when I photograph people, regardless of the format, then using strobes really helps 'freeze' them.

albeit, if you have a 2k arri or redhead(M.R.), that gives a nice bit of light at any distance. But they do certainly live up to their name "hot" lights are definitely hot !

if you're not shooting anything moving, go out to home depot or your neighborhood hardware store and buy some of the clamp-lights, get the 300w maximum ones. They don't have any control over where/how the light falls(unless you use some cinefoil to re-direct it), and you can't dim them without using nd gels, but they work very well as a "starter" light to get yourself going. And they're super cheap too !

or, if you're careful, you can get some great deals on used Mole Richardson(or even Arri or Lowel) lights on ebay. Try renting them if you can before buying.

personally, I'm a hot light guy(if I can choose, and subject permitting), but for color work, since there really isn't any tungsten film around anymore, and I don't feel like gelling lights or my lens, I use strobes(friend's profoto packs/heads).

-Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    I used strobes for years (flashes for those in the UK). I think I have five monolights and all the reflectors, softboxes, umbrella's, toys that you could want.

About two years ago I bought five Smith Victor hot lights.... reflectors, barndoors, screens etc. My photography has improved with the switch. Although the strobes had modeling lights I just couldn't see exactly where the flash was going to go. With the hot lights I see exactly what I'm getting.

For me switching to hot lights moved me from being another guy with flashes, to a photographer who could really light.

Your mileage may vary.

-Rob Skeoch
    Expanding on what Rob has said

The studio ambient light levels can easily misguide you with just using the modelling lamps.

To get close to what you get with the flash units (strobes) the studio needs to be in near darkness.

There was a very good reason many photographers would shoot a series of Polaroids to check the lighting before shooting regular film.

It can be difficult to assess the lighting ratio and particularly background shadows and illumination with just the modelling lights to guide you.

It is possible to do it but you need a decent flash meter, a disciplined approach and plenty of time

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Aislabie; 05-08-2010 at 01:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Strobe is English for a repeating flash, or American for electronic flash.
    I have never heard this before!

"Strobe" is simply incorrect for electronic flash. It is slang. As long as English is being spoken, it has nothing to do with the nationality of the speaker.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding View Post
    I like strobes because my models pupils stay large.
    I like hot lamps for exactly the opposite reason. I'd rather see a smaller pupil and a larger iris than the opposite.

Light is light. The main difference is in the way that the lamp housings and accessories have come to be made. It is the quality of the light that matters. The main difference in quality of light between the two comes largely from the way the lamps are housed and modified. The other main difference is the color of the light. Make those two things equal (housings/modifications and color), tell me you can tell the difference, and I will call you a liar...because you are! Even when these two things are not equal, the differences are there, but are not extreme. Make them equal, and there is no difference in quality of light between the two. If modern flashes came in all the Mole-Richardson housings, they'd be all I'd use.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-08-2010 at 01:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another important difference is in the title of the thread. Hot lights are exactly that: hot.
    It may not show in a photo, but what it does to whatever will be in that photo will.

Modeling lights in flash units generate a fair deal of heat too. But by far not as much as hot lights do.

And yes, "strobes", "strobe light" or "stroboscopes" are devices used to produce (timed) series of flashes. Not slang. Correct English.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I have never heard this before!

"Strobe" is simply incorrect for electronic flash. It is slang. As long as English is being spoken, it has nothing to do with the nationality of the speaker.
    Two countries separated by a common language.
    IE: suspenders, braces, stuffed, boot, on and on.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Two countries separated by a common language.
    IE: suspenders, braces, stuffed, boot, on and on.
    "Strobes" is simply slang used by photographers to mean electronic flash. English/British people and United States people use it.

What strobes actually are is something different...but the word is used incorrectly as slang for electronic flash.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    strobes is slang,
    unless you are talking strobelight

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Or the things Edgerton adapted to suit his purposes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Slang dang, everyone I ever talked to always knows what it is. Electronic flash is to strobes as photographer is to photogs or shooter. Looking at what the current generation is using to communicate, oh well, YMMV.:o
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin