Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,396   Online: 1083

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its meaning is certainly known by all, as are many (most?) slang terms (do I really need to list some? ).....but slang it is.

A strobe is a light that flashes over and over at intervals of a set length. While they are used for photographing and for other things, the electronic flash units that are designed as photographic equipment are not designed for use as strobes, and are not used as strobes when used the way that most photographers use them (i.e., when they fire only when you tell them to fire, and at no other time). If you were to rig up something that set your flashes to fire at evenly spaced intervals, or even if you were to do it manually with a stopwatch and the dump button, then you would have a strobe, in the technical sense.

...but my point was really that this does not have to do with nationality. In the U.S.A. or Britain, "strobe" to mean any electronic flash unit is slang terminology. A "strobe" is a timed repeating light in both British English and U.S. English, and it is slang for electronic flash units in both British English and U.S. English. I know for a fact that British people use the term. Additionally, even if the slang term "strobes" to mean any electronic flash is more prevalent in the United States than in Britain, it does not mean that it is not slang here in the U.S.A.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-09-2010 at 04:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find in Britain that photographers never refer to electronic flash as "Strobe", or anyone call Taps Faucets, the only time I use the term is when communicating with Americans to make myself understood , and as I once found to my cost to "Knock someone up" in the UK means something completely different to what it means in the U.S
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He's just looking to get the last word in. Right or wrong.

Some of the Nikon Electronic flash units use a strobe function to get high speed flash sync with cameras that allow it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you're a still photographer strobes are the way to go. My Speedotron Blackline 2403 B power pack and 4 heads are still working like new since 1987- safely. The Balcar strobe system I once owned had some serious flaws that caused a flash head to explode (in a client's luxurious high-rise office :o) and the power-pack was junked when smoke started coming out of it. One must use due caution when handling flash units. Buy or use only those brands that have a reputation for safety.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you do any analog filming, the hot lights will serve both purposes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin