Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,719   Posts: 1,483,121   Online: 1106

Shooter
    Medium Format

Has anyone here used both the Elichrom ....

Deep Throat and the 74" Octa-bank deep lighting system?

If so can you give me a difference in what you've found.... Pros and Cons...

There is about an 800$ delta but I'm being loaned these from a special friend and would like to ask for only one. I'll be in the studio shooting very tasteful nudes. I'll have an assist. to help moving.

Also, I think the 54"(?) does not need a C-Stand where the 74" will (I've used this before)

I know the 74" light really wraps around the suject so softly. Does the 54" deep throat?

Any help would be very welcomed. I know B&H is sometimes here reading... so........
    Sincerely,
    Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just to avoid confusion- the 54 is actually the midi. The Deep Throat is a 39".

I've owned the DO (sold it about 3 months ago), and was using it with my Ranger Speed AS kit. The light was somewhere between a medium silver umbrella (with softer light, and the ability to feather) and a larger (50-ish SB). I was using it on a C-stand, with a grip arm, and in all honesty, regardless of which modifier you end up with, I would highly recommend the C-stand. Probably the best $180 I've ever spent on lighting equipment.

The Octa is actually an indirect light source, which means that the strobe head is pointed into the bank and away from the front of the box. It is considered to be the softest light modifier available, but I really have no experience with it.

Oh- and the Octa will need more than a C-stand:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Boom_with.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,

I have both and use both.

I use the deep throat for portrait up to half body.

The big octa has a superb soft light that wraps nicely around the model.
    It can be used as white background as well

Usually they are fitted on a Style 600RX but i use the deep throat as well on location and outdoor (quadra or ranger).

I don't think there should be the decision for the one or the other.

For nudes i use either the big octa for it's smooth lighting, strip boxes or simple reflectors rarely the deep throat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin