Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,452   Online: 909

Shooter
    Medium Format

Graflite batteries???

OK, so I've been collecting Graflite/Heiland flash components and flash bulbs for a year or so and now I've finally got some time to play with them and I'm confused about the batteries.

In the Graflite manual the two and three cell flash handles all call for "D" cell batteries.

Are these common 1.5 volt dry cells or are they some exotic voltage in a "D" size case?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My alkaline D cells have been doing their jobs in my Graflites and H-R flashes for over five years (I can remember the event for which I changed them), and they still work fine. Not only will they work, but they will last forever!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, that's what I needed to hear.

Curious to me that the manuals never speak of the voltage.

One of the two cell handles I picked up came with a power pack that uses a 22.5 volt Everyready 412 battery and that, along with the fact that my mother always asked for special "photoflash" batteries for the Brownie Hawkeye, caused me to question the voltage requirements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, NYoung;

Fortunately, in this case the battery industry seems to have accepted its own practice as a "standard."

The AAA. AA, C, and D size cells do not seem to have had any attempt to create a battery pack in the same size case or enclosure. There may be other type chemistries used in the make-up of the cell, but the voltage of the cell should remain right around 1.5 VDC for each cell. In the case of the Nickel-Cadmium batteries it will be only 1.25 VDC nominal per cell, but it is still in the range.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin