Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,726   Online: 1097

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format

Paper inside my Photogenic strobe

I recently returned from a trip to Florida. I packed in one of my suitcases, in original box, one of my studio lights: a Photogenic 1250DR. I disassembled the bulbs, packaging them in their original boxes as well. I suspect my cases were inspected prior to boarding (these were checked cases).

When I returned home, and reassembled my light, I didn't notice there was a small slip of some paper in the bulb. I did notice it ignite when I turned on the light. I have NO CLUE how that paper found it's way into my strobe.

My querry is: after cooling and blowing out the burned debris, is the light safe for further use? Does the slightly charred glass interior need to be cleaned with something?

Thanks.
    K. L. Taylor
    Black and White Studios

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am a bit confused here. What do you mean by "inside the bulb"? The inside of a strobe or any light bulb is usually a vacuum or filled with something that is not the nitrogen/oxygen/COx mixture we breathe. That is what keep the bulb from burning out in 2 seconds.

Or do you mean something ON the strobe itself? If that is the case, then I would definately look at cleaning it with alcohol since the uneven rate of heating the carbon gunk would cause could pop the bulb. Be sure to not leave ANY fingerprints though, because even the oil on your hands can be bad.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Right. I'll give a go with alcohol on a swabbie.

The piece of mystery paper was lodged in the glass dome. Inside the glass dome sits the strobe bulf itself. The glass dome is open on the one side, and the open side has three prongs which plug into the monolight.

Thanks for the advice.
    K. L. Taylor
    Black and White Studios

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gotcha. Just to be safe, refer to the manuf. on bulb cleaning. But usually the alcohol thing works just great.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin