Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,850   Online: 733

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ash

Shooter
    Multi Format

Metz Instructions

I have just picked up a Metz 60CT-2 and Metz 60/40 from Ebay. The problem is they didn't come with instructions and although they both work correctly on the RB67 I am really only guessing on the settings switches.

Does anyone know if the CT-2 is similar to the CT-1 in functionality as a search on the web always seems to return these two in the same results...?

In addition if anyone knows where I can get the correct instructions for this setup I would be very grateful.

Dave

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Call Bogen, the distributor of Metz flashes, at 201/818-9500 and they will assist you.

Ash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. Only thing is, I am in the UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave,
    I´ve got a 60CT-4, but my manual is written in german. The Mecatwin 60-40 is an auxiliary flash with it's own capacitor. I wonder what controls are not clear to you. I would be glad to help, if you can ask more specifically.
    You can find the Metz website under: http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...blitz.138.html. There is a contact option in the menu. Unfortunately, the manual for the 60 series is not availiable online.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave, I have the "Metz Flash Systems" book put out by Magic Lantern Guides (Henninges/Shell) and it has systems available up to the mid 90's. What is it that you want to know and I'll look it up for you (I have the 60CT-4 as well).
    Brian McDowell

Ash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks folks. Thilo, I think I have worked out the settings on the 60-40 i.e. use one dial to set the film speed and the other to set the power (?).

On the main 60CT-2 there are two sliders on the grip, again I think one is for ISO setting but the other, even though it controls the power is something I've not used before. The scale goes from 0 to 110. Additionally the CT-2 has the dial on the top as well so how do they all work together?

Gosh in comparison my 550EX is a doddle to use

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The dial on the top of the head of the CT-2 is for calculations - it is not part of the CT-2's electronics. It does tell you how to use the W (winder) and M (manual) settings.

On my CT-2 the two sliders are for film speed and mode selection. The film speed is marked in DIN only. The other slider selects manual, winder (low power, but rapid recycle, or the aperture for auto use - there is a wide range of apertures.

TTL use is only possible with the correct SCA500 adapter.

Is that info any use to you?

Ash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Helen, very useful, thanks.

Next stupid question then - am I right in thinking the W mode would be used on something like my EOS3 when firing several shots at once, whereas M or aperture would be suited to the Mamiya with it being totally manual?

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave,

That sounds logical. The dial on top of the head will tell you how much power you lose in the 'W' setting. I don't know whether or not the 60 CT-2 could keep up with the EOS3 at full speed. Try it without any film in.

(Later edit: Using it in auto with a wide aperture setting and fast film may bring the recycle time down enough to achieve the same result while retaining auto operation.)

There is also a tele-computer thing (I forget the number) that gives you a lot more control over the CT60 in manual and auto modes. You may be interested in looking for one of those. I use mine fairly often. The other bells and whistles include a bounce card that looks like it belongs on a Soyuz and a monster tele lens.

I don't know how easy it is to find SCA500 modules (not SCA300), but there was a Canon one made that might give you TTL with the EOS3. I'm not sure, because the most up-to-date Canon that I am familiar with is my T90. Or is it a T34?

Best,
    Helen

PS the other scale you refer to is the maximum distance in metres for direct flash at that speed and aperture.

Ash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right. Getting the hang of it now. I set both flash heads up lastnight and connected them to the RB67. The lightmeter was positioned a couple of metres away while I fired the shutter. At first the meter reading was a bit odd but then this was because both flashes were aimed at it, once I started bouncing the slave flash from the ceiling I was able to control the power and get the readings I expected.

Helen, I don't know if I'll be using it much with the Canon as I've got the 550EX which is almost foolproof

My final question for now is using it for fill-flash. For example if I were to take a picture of a person with the main light (sun) from behind and get an incident reading of say, f8 would I then set the flash power to be something like f5.6 or f4?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin