Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,056   Online: 1031

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think what you've described are FLASH-BULBS.

Get a Honeywell Tilt-A-Mite or similar. It can use AG1 and M bulbs and maybe others (not sure, just got mine). Guide numbers in the hundreds, cheap if bought in lots on eBay or found in antique malls and they have nearly unlimited coverage when used w/o a reflector.
    and if you really want to light it up...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 122.JPG  
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also have a Metz 45 which I like, but I haven't used in the last few years.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian d View Post
    DANG. That's it. Just...DANG.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian d View Post
    If that's not enough light, add a couple of Graflite side lighting units.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was going to say check ebay for a Honneywell Tilt-a-mite and some #5 or #25 bulbs to go with it, that combination can turn night into day for about 40 feet. I have shot a #5 in the dark and it looks like high noon on 200 film at f/16 this is from one side of my Kodak Stereo, don't mind the dust from the scanner.

Backyard flashbulb by bblhed, on Flickr
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    35mm
    I use a vivitar 283 flash on my sputnik, works well and seems to sync just fine at 1/125.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Add me in as a vote for flashbulbs. I have a box of M5s in front of me, and they have a GN of 200 at ASA 100 and 1/100 sec shutter speed. Of course, I am assuming that you have an older camera with "M" sync. If not, you will have to use 1/30 sec, but then you will get a GN of 260.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

easter NY, 2 miles so. of Canadian border
    Shooter
    Large Format
    I also vote for 5's or 25's. We used to call these "lightning in a bottle".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd get a variable-power Sunpak or Metz Potato masher. They are the most versatile, and the most bang for the buck. The Sunpak 622 in particular is extremely versatile. There are six or seven different heads for it, including an IR head, a zoom head, and a bare bulb head. They have a GN of 200 or so, but are more expensive than the 555.

Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 283 or 285 (all speedlights, not potato mashers) are not bad either, though they have less power. The Viv 283 is not adjustable, which I consider to be a deal killer (though I do have one that I got for cheap).

I decided on the Sunpak 555, which is a potato masher that takes filters and plenty of other accessories, like external batteries, A/C adapters, rechargeable battery packs, etc. It has a GN of 160, and cost me about the same number of U.S. dollars. The filter kit added $30. The only time the flash has failed me was when it got dumped on by a water drop helicopter when shooting a fire. It came back 30 minutes later. It is my #1 flash for weddings, was my number one flash when shooting news events, and I would have no reservations about suggesting one, especially for such mild use. They are very capable and very powerful for what they cost.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 11-10-2010 at 05:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Second hand Norman 200B packs and LH-2 heads are pretty reasonably priced, unless you need to upgrade the battery and get the new charger.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin