Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,886   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

need a really powerful flash...cheap

My Rollei E 36 RE flash guns are starting to fail me. Instead of scavenging ebay for more of the same, I was thinking of finding a different model flash. I plan on using it with my Sputnik 3D camera. So, I need a LOT of power (guide number) and don't really care about recharge time...if I take a shot a minute, it is a lot. Also, I want something really cheap. ;-)

Suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where are you located and what is the budget? Cheap may mean different things to different people. Location is important because some locations have lots to choose from, other places very little, both of these variables effect prices. Do you know what the light output of your existing flash is?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sunpak 555's are cheap and powerful. And tough. It's what I use for throwing a lot out there.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I am in Philadelphia. The sunpak looks decent. My rollei is a gn 150 as well. It let's me shoot at f/16 and 10ft. It also looks cheap...probably since it doesn't support ettl.

Additional model # suggestions appreciated

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That sort of power, and no TTL-control, a Metz 45 CT-1.
    Used, they sometimes go for peanuts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also have Metz. My favorite is Metz 45CT-3. Guide number 145 I think. 65 dollars-ish at KEH. I like it so much I just bought a second one.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Metz 60 CT1 has a guide number of 60 metres, so powerful will nearly remove wallpaper, and cheap second-hand.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Check out Calumet (APUG partner) at their location on Market St. Lots of used/consigns in house.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think what you've described are FLASH-BULBS.

Get a Honeywell Tilt-A-Mite or similar. It can use AG1 and M bulbs and maybe others (not sure, just got mine). Guide numbers in the hundreds, cheap if bought in lots on eBay or found in antique malls and they have nearly unlimited coverage when used w/o a reflector.

My 2 cents
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any of the flashes mentioned will do a nice job... Another one to consider is the Agfa 643CS. GN of 212, built-in diffusers, wink light fill flash (second flash tube). They slip through eBay from time to time at rather low prices. I've accumulated a number of these and some Quantum battery equipment to ease the battery consumption (these are 12V and run on 8 AA cells). They have a unique drum head/swivel design that allows bounce/wink from any angle.
    Craig Schroeder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin