Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,735   Online: 1125

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vivitar 365

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Vivitar 365

Does anyone know the guide number vor Vivitar 365 Zoom Thyristor? Not listed on Vivitar web site.
    Thanks

Rusty Tripod

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seeing how it's a thyristor model with a variable power output I assume you are taliking about on manual at full power. Doesn't it have a dial on it or something similar to tell you what f/stop to use? Setting the asa to 100 and multiplying the f/stop indicated by the max distance should give a close value. Of course testing is best and if you can get a good flashmeter to check it with even better.
    I hope I got that right, it's been a while since I've ever worried about such details. I usually just grab the flash meter and check things out like that.
    Gary Beasley

Images
    Good Evening, Rusty,

Gary's advice above is good. I just checked my 365; it looks as if the manual guide number (for feet) should be around 150-160.

Konical

Images
    My post immediately above should have mentioned that the info is for E. I. 100.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Gary, the only numbers on the unit refer to the angle for bounce. I wish it had a dial or reference scale. I made a note somewhere that suggested the guide number is 160. If that means f16 at 10 feet for ASA100 film, I am then trying to figure the settings for ASA 400 film. I suspect they would be a 2 stop difference, f32 at 10 feet. Unfortunately, my camera syncs at 1/60 and my 50mm. lens only goes to F16, so it may be too strong for ASA400. Any thoughts?

I have not used the flash enough to know how to work with it. I need to record my classroom for my master's project, so I have got to force myself to use it. I may have to resort to the old Vivitar 2000.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Rusty

Images
    Good Morning, Rusty,

May I assume from your last post that you do NOT have the separate variable sensor which normally accompanies the 365 flash? If not, you are stuck with using it in manual mode. Your estimate is correct; according to the info on my sensor, your E. I. 400 guide number (for feet) should be around 320.

The 365 is a good powerful unit; I normally use mine in manual mode as a supplementary flash to bounce off a ceiling or other reflective surface.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ND filter should do, either for the lens or over the flash tube.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nope, Konical, I do not have the variable sensor. I bought the thing on eBay and have used it manually. I tried some shots in the house yesterday that were a little overexposed. I figured to do the bounce next time to check the outcomes. It has been a reliable unit, but I have not used it enough to perfect it for my needs. Now that I have a decent amount of film, I will play around with it a little more.

I wonder if I could find a reliable sensor on eBay for a modest price. There is a website that sells the manual. Peharps, I ought to try that.

Thanks for your response. Rusty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found a place that sells copies of the manuals:

http://www.imanualsnow.com/servlet/c...v/categoryID~9

Don't know if I'd pay that much but if its what you want and no one else has it.....

PS. notice theres another on on Ebay right now pretty cheap with ALL the bells and whistles.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of Vivitar 283's with missing sensors and found this information

http://www.hiviz.com/activities/guidebook/sensor.pdf

that shows how to hot wire a resistor accross the sensor contacts to get reduced power. I then discovered that Vivitar actually has a devide that plugs into the sensor socket to provide a calibrated version of this. VP-1 I think is the part number.

I'm assuming the 385 is a big cersion of the 285 which, I think uses the same sensor as the 283.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin