Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,956   Online: 1011

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Lightweight, inexpensive kit.

I was showing a friend of mine the Sunpak 4000's that i have.
    These are pretty heavy and bulky monolights. Add that to the Chinese softboxes that take forever to setup and its really a PITA kit to setup.

i'd like a setup that is more portable and easier to setup.

My friend uses a Nikon d40, I have a N80 and F100 (among others).

I was thinking a set of Vivitar 285's on brackets with reflective umbrellas would do the trick.

Does anyone uses these for studio lighting?
    How are the cheap radio or ir sync's?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out the following websites for what you are looking to do with the speedlights. A lot of people are doing it nowadays with radio triggers, umbrellas and multiple speedlights.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/ The main one most people go to for information.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist Related to the blog above

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can get away with a lot considering the power some of these flashguns are able to put out there. Strobist is a great resource for all things small with big light.

That being said, I'm still not parting with my Profotos and generator...I would rather have too much power than not enough. :-p
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Having three 285's to clamp, diffuse, trigger/test, and finally meter might be more portable, but not be any easier to set up or fiddle with. You'll probably spend more time checking and replacing batteries. And you don't have modelling lamps to help you see what you're going to get, so I don't like the sound of it at all. I agree with you on umbrellas over softboxes for easy setup, but my gut says one monolight (with modelling lamp) and one reflector. But keep in mind I'm speaking from the school of really lazy.
    Last edited by David William White; 09-27-2010 at 09:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    David, you made a good point on the modelling lamps. My friend could get along without them, but not me.

Either way, I would still want wireless activation.

Thanks for the strobist links. I will check them out!.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin