Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,928   Online: 962

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Apartment strobe, purchase help.

Budget: 150.00.

Should I go with WHITE LIGHTNING 10, 000 (119.00 used) , Adorama Flashpoint Model II 320A Monolight (99.95 new) , or your suggestion (within the budget).

I thank you in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got the White Lightning 10000. I've had it for a very long time and it works well. Uses a normal bulb for the modeling light. Never tried the other one you mentioned. I use my 10000 with a 5000 for background fill. Spend the extra $ on a used umbrella and stand. I use them with digital and 35mm,6x6,4x5, and 8x10. It's not quite powerful enough to get big DOF on 8x10 film, but it's met all my other needs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have several Alien Bees and like them very much. I don't recall how much I paid for them though.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I assume the WL 10000 is the older "paint can" style. One drawback, IIRC, is that it's more difficult to attach a softbox. An umbrella works just fine. I would suggest the WL Ultra if you can find one at a good price. I don't think the Alien Bees are within your budget.

Repairs on many makes can be problematic. I've come across more than 1 "orphan" monolight that no longer has parts, including flashtubes, available. Paul Buff (who makes the WL and Alien Bees) has a reputation for great service and continued parts availability. I'd be concerned about the one from Adorama.

Other options might include the smaller Novatron, Norman, Speedotron pack units if you plan on multiple lights. Even the low end units might stretch the budget, but you would have 2 lights. But some low end pack units have limited light controls.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a pal selling off a pair of monolights. I don't recall the tech details at the moment but one is 200ws variable back from f/16 at 10' with a 7" or so reflector, and the other 50ws, yielding f/8 at 10'. He is in Orangeville, Ontario, so postage may be an issue, but he wants $200 Canadian for the pair; alas I don't recal if it includes stands right now.

PM me if you want me to look up the details on the at work Email.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the WL. It comes in two types IIRC. The older version can "weld" the flashtube to the chassis/frame and make it nearly impossible to remove. I suggest you check models to insure that you are not seeing the older version. There is a modification kit, but IDK if it is still available.

OTOH, the unit is very dependable and quite good. I have used mine for years.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    .....I'd be concerned about the one from Adorama.
    Everything sold by Adorama comes with a 30-day returns guarantee - in addition, all new Flashpoint items come with a 12-month warranty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    Everything sold by Adorama comes with a 30-day returns guarantee - in addition, all new Flashpoint items come with a 12-month warranty.
    Didn't mean to cast aspersions on Adorama or it's products. My concern is long term availability of parts and service. I.E. where do you go for these in 5 years?

Especially flashtubes. Though, if the Flashpoint tubes are not proprietary, that may not be an issue.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you all.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    How about this? I may have to find another $50.00 http://www.adorama.com/JTVE360.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin