Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,168   Posts: 1,614,461   Online: 800

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Using Nikon speedlight with cold shoe?

I have a Nikon SB-24 speedlight, and I would like to be able to use it with a couple of older rangefinder cameras that only have cold shoes for flash, not a hot shoe. If I insert the flash in the shoe, it does not fire when the shutter is triggered. Off-camera, works fine, but on-camera, nothing. (Yes, with sync cord.) Is there a way to get them to work together, or am I going to have to get a different kind of flash?
    "People get bumped off." -- Weegee

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Initial thoughts, your cold shoe probably is making an electrical connection if it is metal.

You could try putting tape down on it to prevent the connection or buy a cold shoe adapter.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use my SB-28 on several different cold shoes. I put down a layer of clear packing tape so that the contacts don't get shorted. I hook the flash up to the camera with a common PC sync cord.
    f/22 and be there.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cruddy or busted camera-side sync terminal?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    buy a cold shoe adapter.
    Of course I did not know there was such a thing, but it seems obvious in retrospect. I may try the tape solution first, as it sounds cheaper. And, of course, I already have some!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If the tape doesn't work, just get a hot shoe adapter and leave that attached to whichever camera you're using. Certain Nikon flashes won't work right on cold shoes, like the SB-16. Nikon recommended using a piece of electrical tape on the Nikomat accessory shoes with that flash.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The clear packing tape worked perfectly for both cameras. Thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin