Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,187   Online: 1258

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    So,,, why, with every new PVC pipe project does my stash of left overs just keep getting bigger, instead of shrinking??? Kind of like screws nuts and bolts I guess

That's because there are male and female fittings stored together. Ya gotta keep them separate...

Same thing happens to bolts, although it's not a problem if the nuts are castellated.

(And for what it's worth, I found better diffuser material at an outfitter/sporting goods place than I did at the fabric store. It is apparently used for windows in nylon tents.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    [I]
    Same thing happens to bolts, although it's not a problem if the nuts are castellated.

(And for what it's worth, I found better diffuser material at an outfitter/sporting goods place than I did at the fabric store. It is apparently used for windows in nylon tents.)
    How's that go? No, No!!! not without a Washer!!! ;-)

Anyway, I'll look for the other stuff. We don't have anything like that around here,,, Seattle is likely the closest at 3 hours one way, but I'll bet the big brown truck would have it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Daylight negative color film, or for that matter transparency fill is balanced for around 5500 K. 3200K lights are way off and you would get a reddish orange cast.

Even black and white film would react differently to 5500K and 3200K colored light sources.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Filters,,, Been around for years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I built a soft box and octabanks with a shower curtain from IKEA, it was 29 SEK or $4.3, size 2x1,8 m, couldn't find any fabric with such a low price in the fabric store. You could probably find a cheap shower curtain in any low priced shop around your parts. Just make sure it's white and not some kind of off-white.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're about 7 miles or so from the Jo-Ann Fabric store in Yakima, 3702 Tieton Drive.

Ask for white rip-stop nylon or sport nylon. The rip-stop is thinner and allows a bit more light through. The sport nylon is a little denser and provides slightly more diffusion. The rip-stop is 60 inches wide. I believe the sport nylon is the same width. Both show online as $6.99 per linear yard. Both are recommended for diffusion panels. I sometimes space two layers of rip-stop a few inches apart to get more diffuse shadow edges.

PVC is cool. I've used it myself. But I'm in the middle of designing some stands, free-standing diffusion panels, booms, reflector supports, etc. with a method called gridbeam. (google it) It's reconfigurable/reusable and very flexible. With the free Google Sketchup CAD program and a set of CAD gridbeam components available free from the Sketchup 3D Warehouse, you can get started designing on the computer before you build. If you have some woodworking tools, especially a drill press, I'd recommend going this way.

If you decide to go with gridbeam, PM me about online sources for the 'joint connector bolts' that wooden gridbeam uses. I've found what I think are the best prices, bolts and nuts from two different sources.

Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin