Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,763   Posts: 1,516,181   Online: 1007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Diffusion Fabric Question

Building some DIY light boxes. (starting with one "big" one). Which of the "white" products at the local fabric store seem to do the best job as a diffuser? It'll be a combination of PVC pipe and the white foam board for the back.

Shopping around, they have some poly, white "stiffener" products, more of a mat like material, and lots of nylon looking products.

Opinions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might look at the plastic rod and fittings used to make kites, much lighter but with very good rigidity. I've seen white translucent polyester cloth in many stores that's very similar to the material used commercially.

Somewhere I have a 20 year old article on making a DIY diffuser and that used then kite parts, they aren't expensive.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a look at this video. The bloke has an interesting accent to a Yank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mI3VFdcd9g

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Silk is a good bet, I like some of the rayon materials, one thing to remember is if you shoot color, the color of the fabric will have a balance effect on your output. Even over time the fabric color changes and may yellow.

I have used a rubber backed fabric for the outer cases and an inner baffle of silk helps to further diffuse the light source.

For what it's worth.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There was a good thread on a black thin product folks were using as one layer on diy bellows, I'll go look it up again. I wonder what makes silk the good product? I do have a very nice small umbrella or two of silk from the old days, I'd forgotten all about them.

And kite parts,,, what a great idea! I was thinking about my tent poles with bungie cords internal,,, but they're not giving them away for anything like what I was willing to spend.

So, the inner baffle, at the outside front of the light box, there's a panel of silk,,, then a foot or so inside, there is another panel of silk making a chamber? That makes sense, and I like the roll it up feature with a fabric build rather than the foam art board.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    look up 'Dean Collins Tinker Tube' - I have a pdf but it is 3.5mb, so a bit big to post here. All sorts of good ideas to get yiu started in that document.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Take a look at this video. The bloke has an interesting accent to a Yank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mI3VFdcd9g
    Fun video,,, wonder what the color temp of on of those quartz work lights is?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    look up 'Dean Collins Tinker Tube' - I have a pdf but it is 3.5mb, so a bit big to post here. All sorts of good ideas to get yiu started in that document.
    TinkerTube it is. I've been using PVC pipe as an orchardist since I was a kid. Keep glue and primer in little six packs on the shelf, and I'll bet I've got 30 lbs of fittings and 2 or 300 feet of 1/2 thru 1 1/2 left overs.

PVC stand for my RC plane at the flying field, the stuff seems to show up everywhere.

So,,, why, with every new PVC pipe project does my stash of left overs just keep getting bigger, instead of shrinking??? Kind of like screws nuts and bolts I guess

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Fun video,,, wonder what the color temp of on of those quartz work lights is?
    About 3200k
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    About 3200k
    Well,,, so there, then. I think I've even got the filters for daylight film.

Does the new color negative film really need to be filtered to get good results from 3200 light? Seems like I've read it does ok without any help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin