Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,587   Online: 812

Shooter
    35mm

"VH flip bracket" for a TLR?

After some searching it appears the popular choice for on-axis flash brackets for TLRs is the Jones J-120 (so the flash isn't off to one side like with an L-bracket).

I checked with a local photo store, and they can't get me one, so it looks like I would have to order one directly. However, the photo store did have the "VH Flip Bracket #5021200" from Booth Photographic - seen here.

It's certainly tall enough for a TLR as it extends to 28". What I couldn't tell from the packaging or the pictures is, will the flash be slightly forward so it won't interfere with a WLF? It sort of looks like it might be, but it's hard to tell.

Has anyone here tried one with a TLR?

I would prefer to buy something locally if it will work - as I'm in Canada and Jones is in the US, there are sometimes extra fees involved with the cross-border shipping, and returns can be a pain if it breaks.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can see how this item would be useful with a 35mm camera or a 6X4.5 SLR with a prism finder where the camera needs to be used horizontally and vertically, but I've been using 6X6 TLRs for more than twenty years and feel it would just get in the way and looks very cumbersome.
    I use a Metz 45 CL4 hammer head flashgun with my Mamiya TLR with the coiled sync lead so I can detach the flash from the bracket, and hold it in my hand at arms length and point it wherever I want because one of the good points of 6X6 cameras is you don't have to hold them vertically .
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    While I guess I could hand hold the flash unit, I like to have both hands holding on to the camera. Not completely necessary with a neck strap, I suppose, but it feels the most comfortable. Precisely because it doesn't have to change, a flash bracket the keeps the flash in the optimal positional all the time makes more sense to me. (The "flip" functionality of this bracket would, of course, be wasted with 6x6. But it's the basic bracket function I'm looking for.)

But to each their own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with benji on this one, he actually write that he can detach it from the bracket to hand hold it. It can still be attached to the camera. I use this setup with a TLR (strangely enough the brand is called "Beauty") and a flash bracket and an old press flash. I see no need for a flipping flash bracket.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe Stroboframe made a bracket for MF with WL finder, The arm was angled forward so you could get your punkin head in there without getting hurt = )
    I think Tiffen is the distributor.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've looked at this and wondered about using it for a TLR (haven't yet actually checked the measurements):

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I went out and bought this particular bracket to actually try it. It turns out that, yes, it can be used with a TLR with a WLF - the arm that holds the flash can be set forward or backward to whatever angle you want (there's a 360 degree groove on the post, and a bolt that you tighten down inside the groove to lock it in place wherever you want). Also, the flash shoe angle isn't fixed - you can also set it to whatever angle you want so that the flash points forward.

Although I already have a Stroboframe Quickflip bracket for 35mm, this VH Flip bracket may be useful for some of my other cameras. I didn't realize it uses a quick release system, though - to use it properly with other cameras I guess I have to buy some accessories

Quote Originally Posted by olleorama View Post
    I'm with benji on this one, he actually write that he can detach it from the bracket to hand hold it. It can still be attached to the camera. I use this setup with a TLR (strangely enough the brand is called "Beauty") and a flash bracket and an old press flash. I see no need for a flipping flash bracket.
    Once again, yes, I realize the flip function isn't useful with 6x6 - I was looking for *any* bracket that would position the flash on-axis to the lens, yet not interfere with the WLF - I already have an L-bracket, and if the subject is in front of a wall or solid object you get less-than-optimal shadows off to one side, even with a moderate-sized diffuser (Lumiquest mini-softbox). It just so happens this VH Flip bracket was in-stock locally, which saved me the hassle of ordering one in, and it's pretty much the same price as a new Jones J-120 with shipping.

Also, to reiterate, I like both hands on the camera, so I *don't* want to use an L-bracket as a flash holder and then remove it and hold it manually on-axis for every shot.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    35mm
    Why don't you try Amplis Photo in Markham, ON. They are an importer of photographic goods into Canada.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin