Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,546   Online: 1017

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Those batteries are cheap but I have heard nothing but news when I just inquired over on the RC forum. Those guys abuse the crap out of their batteries though. I might use elite 3500 ish mah Sub C cells, very compact and good performance (35amp continous discharge!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Metz dry-fit batteries are expensive, but I will say that they work very, very well.

Same goes for the substitutes that used to be available from the German manufacturer (Schoenenberg???) that probably made them for Metz.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Found some GP 3300 NIMH cells wihch are known to be ultra reliable. For anyone else looking to do something like this Ive heard nothing but amazing recommendations about this site for batteries:

http://www.battlepack.com/NIMH%20battlepacks.asp

he uses top quality cells, Im gonna order one of his "battle" packs soon and have him split to two 6v packs for my Metz. EP cells are top quality and its really hard finding the good NIMH these days....

Should be cheaper than the dryfit, much lighter, and provide faster recycling time. Not sure what the amp draw rating on the dryfit is but on these NIMH's its through the roof!

Just sent Metz an email about current draw on the battery from the CT1-4 packs.
    Last edited by kawasakiguy37; 12-09-2010 at 05:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recall it is well in excess of 6A as the flash is first recovering from being discharged on manual. I was using a 5A maximum deflectiion analog ammeter with a bench power supply (old PC power supply , 20A, with the regulator fooled to put out 5.7V by sticking a diode across it's reference terminal), and the meter definitely was pegged for a few seconds.

The bench test confirmed the pack was viable, so I went and spent $30 on an about 4-5Ah 6V AGM battery to power the Metz pack, and still be able to fit it in the battery comparment. I have since adapted the pack to allow exteral 6V batteries to be plugged into the pack to augment the power reserves of the internal battery.

I had no charger for the pack, so I sniffed in my big of spare power bricks, and found one 6VAC 800mA for an old adding machine that had been discarded. I made up a pair of contacts to suit the pack, and then fed the pack with this thing plugged into an autotransformer. The voltage was wound up until the battery saw the charge voltage it wanted to. I think I am running the power brcik a feed woltage of about 140VAC, but it has worked fine this way for the last 4 years, with intermittent use.
    Last edited by Mike Wilde; 12-10-2010 at 08:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Dryfits are sealed lead acid gel cells. They are also referred to as "accumulators" The guide # is 197 (ISO 100 - 10 feet). If you have the correct adapter to mount them into an umbrella, the best way is horizontally, parallel to the umbrella shaft.

Buy the power pack. Skip trying to be a rocket scientist. The internal circuit board is complex, plus ---
    big plus, the components for running the system are both in the battery pack and in the head, so you need both.

Shooter
    35mm
    My first post here, so please be gentle...

About 2 months ago, I bought a Metz CT60-4 for $50 , that included about $10 BART fare to meet the seller in San Francisco.

The unit is in great condition. The only thing I had to buy was the replacement battery.

I'm cheap, at least according to other members of my family , so naturally it was hard for me to justify an $80 replacement battery for a $40 flash unit. Being an EE, I thought I could somehow assemble a battery for much less than $80.

But finally, my sense came back and I bought this one: link.

I received the battery 3 days after placing the order.

The battery comes with a charger. You can't use the Metz charger. That's actually good because you can charge the battery out of the power pack. I think it charges faster too.

It's about the same price as a Metz battery ($70 + $18 FedEx 3-day shipping). It is 1 lb. lighter than the dryfit (SLA) battery. I don't have to worry about exhausting it (SLA batteries don't like to be exhausted, or to be stored uncharged). The first charge lasted at least 1200 shots. I'm still on the second charge.

Here are some more technical details I discovered during the search for battery:

- The 3 settings in the CT60 power pack (NiCd, Dryfit, and DryCell) are for battery recharging. They don't have any other effect.

- The outputs of the CT60 power pack are ground, 7.4 VDC, and 350 VDC.

I also have a Quantum Turbo and several 45CT/45CL units. Now I'm trying to figure out how to power the 45 with the 60 battery pack, and/or to power the 60 with the Quantum Turbo.
    Last edited by bigspecbear; 02-18-2011 at 02:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin