Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,440   Online: 1121

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Input Voltage on Metz 60 CT series?

The Metz 60 CT series looks to be ridiculous cheap used for what it is. Very powerful, pretty portable, etc etc. You can especially find the heads (which they describe as body only) for quite cheap (less than $50). I want to wireup my own battery system to these.

Anybody know the input voltage on the 60 CT-1 and CT-2? I know the "pack" uses a 6v battery (either nicad or lead acid), but I would much rather built my own NiMh pack (no memory, and I go with either high current cells or low self discharge - or both). However, I dont want to have to buy an additional power pack for each head that I buy....as this adds to the cost a lot, and weight. If I could wireup my own battery + transistor setup I could start with any source (12v DC comes to mind) up to what the Metz uses. Ive heard 330v, and also 360v. I'd also like the ability to put two flashes on the same pack

Finally, anyone think it would be possible to just wire up something like the Nikon SD8 clone seen here:

http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0153/index.shtml

To a Metz 60 CT-1? I believe that outputs 330v, and if the Metz uses close to that it might work.....

Please excuse my ignorance of electric engineering, Ive only taken some physics and wired up (soldered) my own RC car batteries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just wanted to let you know, you CAN e-mail Metz tech support directly and ask the question. I asked about the "output" voltage and I got an answer in few days directly from Metz.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What do you mean by output voltage? From the 60 38 battery pack?

Gonna send them an email right now. Seems I only want the CT-4 heads too, as the rest dont have any manual control.....

Is it possible to use CT-4 heads with older packs??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakiguy37 View Post
    ignorance of electric engineering, Ive only taken some physics
    Ouch! I'm feeling electrical shocks just reading this. With an "ignorance of electrical engineering" you are going to scratch-build a high voltage xenon charging circuit
    Appropriate high voltage capacitors for a project like this can be expensive and difficult to come by (maybe its a good thing).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think OP is talking about building a battery pack....

By "output" I meant the trigger voltage. The point I was trying to make was that Tech Support at Metz were very helpful in providing specifications. Good luck with your project.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Definitely talking about the battery pack. Not trying to work with rigging up my own transistors, but using someone elses. I looked into it seems the best method is just to buy bargan CT4 systems (head, pack, battery, cables) and then replace the battery myself. All of this can be had for ~125. Battery probably another $30. Now the only question is how to successfully rig it up to a lightstand and modifiers....

Anybody know the wattage on these packs? Guide numbers are sometimes a bit inconclusive....I want to use this thing in a beauty dish and other modifiers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    GN is 197 I believe.... I'm trying to do the same thing myself - that is, use Metz with umbrellas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The voltage from the trigger coil is probably around 5,000 volts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We should ask Chris that....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW ....

Very few of the 60CT series flashes are used with a ni-cad or lead acid battery. Almost all of them use a "dryfit" battery, which essentially eliminates memory effect.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin