Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,405   Online: 830

Shooter
    35mm

light meter for spot metering and 430ex(canon)?

I am a histogram junkie, but with canon film cameras, that is not an option...So, I will be buying a light meter...I want one that works with my 430exii and one that can spot meter. I shoot manual, so av/tv options are not that important. I do not do wireless flash, doubt I will either, so that is not an issue either. Any advice as to which one you like? Thanks!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidia View Post
    I am a histogram junkie, but with canon film cameras, that is not an option...So, I will be buying a light meter...I want one that works with my 430exii and one that can spot meter. I shoot manual, so av/tv options are not that important. I do not do wireless flash, doubt I will either, so that is not an issue either. Any advice as to which one you like? Thanks!
    Sekonic 508s aren't wildly expensive now: accurate, well-built, multi-function spot/flash/incident meters. They usually go for $200-250.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I personally like Sekonic meters as well, but I use an L-358. You can buy a separate spot meter attachment for it. It's currently manufactured and has been accurate and very durable.

I'm not familiar with Canon, but some Nikon cameras have a built-in spot meter mode, which I find works very well. Perhaps that's an option for Canon, so you can simplify your external meter.

-Laura

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Minolta meters in the 1990s were highly in demand by pros and enthusiasts alike, like Sekonic is today. Since the world seems to forget that any brand name ever existed besides Sekonic, those brands of yesteryear are quite affordable on the used market. Today the Minolta latest designs are marketed by Kenko. Incident and flash metering are in the meter, spot metering attachments are all available. And the Kenko brand accessories will fit the Minolta meters, if you don't find the Minolta brand accessory in the used market.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    I personally like Sekonic meters as well, but I use an L-358. You can buy a separate spot meter attachment for it. It's currently manufactured and has been accurate and very durable.

I'm not familiar with Canon, but some Nikon cameras have a built-in spot meter mode, which I find works very well. Perhaps that's an option for Canon, so you can simplify your external meter.

-Laura
    Problem is, though, that the tack-on spot meter thingies for Sekonics like the 358 are very pricey new and not much cheaper used. That's why an all-in-one like the Sekonic 508 with a 1-4 degree zoom spot for around 200 bucks is a bargain.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A Minolta Spotmeter F is a great meter if you want a spot meter that can do flash - 1 degree spot, both natural light and flash. They're only available on the used market, and they're not cheap. For a less expensive option, a Sekonic 408 is a great meter that has incident and reflected, and 5-degree spot via a built-in spot meter, and can do ambient and flash metering. They're also only available used, but they're quite rugged and very useful. I keep mine around to use in the studio, and the Minolta does its duty in the field.

But if you're shooting a Canon EOS body and a 430 EX II, why not put the thing on Aperture preferred and let the camera use the E-TTL?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    A Minolta Spotmeter F is a great meter if you want a spot meter that can do flash - 1 degree spot, both natural light and flash. They're only available on the used market, and they're not cheap. For a less expensive option, a Sekonic 408 is a great meter that has incident and reflected, and 5-degree spot via a built-in spot meter, and can do ambient and flash metering. They're also only available used, but they're quite rugged and very useful. I keep mine around to use in the studio, and the Minolta does its duty in the field.

But if you're shooting a Canon EOS body and a 430 EX II, why not put the thing on Aperture preferred and let the camera use the E-TTL?
    I don't trust in-camera meters. With my xsi, I have to rely on the histogram to get spot-on exposure. If I rely on the camera's meter, my images are always underexposed by a 1-3 stops.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies! I am off to search KEH.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin