Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,055   Online: 1026

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Metz Flash fault. Is it worth repairing?

Last night I was probably a little over enthusiastic using a Metz 45 CL-1 and managed to have it stop working on me. The ready light illuminates however I cannot activate the flash at all. I have tried new batteries, recharging the old battery pack etc all to no avail.

So the question is whether it is worth repairing or just replacing it. Or is there something simple I can try.

Thanks
    Craig Griffiths

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Craig,

I do not know how old it is, but that is otherwise a high-class flashgun and should be repaired. You may have fired it too much and overheated it. I'm sure that Metz has seen that before. BTW, I love my 45CL4-Digital; it works with every camera I own.
    Geo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does the manual firing button cause the flash to work?

If so, I would check the synch cord connections.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If ready light comes on, charging circuit is working, so it's not the batteries. If you have a multi-meter, you can test the cord. (do you?)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    the manual fire button does not set off the flash, and I have tested the cord and all is good with the cord.

Any other suggestions?
    Craig Griffiths

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1) Don't get into it, It's got about 350V stored in the main capacitor. The leads from the cap go directly to the ends of the flash tube.
    *Three things may have failed, trigger coil, trigger cap or the flash tube itself.
    *The current is nominal but 350V shows how fast your hand can move when you're not expecting it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These days you can get an used and working 45 CT1 for under 20 Euro. Almost for the same price you will get a CT3 or for little more (50-80 EUR) a 45-CT4 with second light. (Situation in Europe, don't know about the avaibility of used Metz flashes in the US.) So repair is economically only worth if it is just something to resolder inside the flash. In your case it seems it is the tube itself.

You could ask Metz directly. They respond fast and are very helpful.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin