Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,069   Online: 940

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

how to take pics of the insides of lenses

i have a enlarging lens that I am returning. It was advertised as clear but shining a light through it shows a considerable amount of haze and spots.

I would like to document it so the seller wont balk when I return it.

however I am having a heck of a time photographing the inside.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to accomplish this?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    i have a enlarging lens that I am returning. It was advertised as clear but shining a light through it shows a considerable amount of haze and spots.

I would like to document it so the seller wont balk when I return it.

however I am having a heck of a time photographing the inside.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to accomplish this?
    A few weeks a go I did this same thing to return an enlarger lens with "cleaning" marks (from cleaning with sandpaper it looked like ).

I held the lens up to a light in the basement ( I use spotlights) and aimed the view throught the lens at the dark ceiling. That way the marks on the glass show up a white on black. With the other hand I snapped the pictue with a digicam on macro. I used manual to bracket the exposure to get one that shows a good the marks very well. It was actually quite easy, and I did a comparison lens and emailed both pictures to the seller.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 01-24-2011 at 01:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In theory, what you can see, you can take a picture of.
    So the way to do it is to put the camera where your eye is/was. May require macro-equipment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was able to get what i needed.

I used the tip from ic-racer. The glass surface of the lens was reflecting much of the room. (white ceiling, white bookshelves, brass lamps). That was one obstacle. I ended up using a black card to mask out the reflections.

Then I used a focused beam from a LED light to illuminate the inside of the lens.

Finally I found i had to use manual focus so the camera would stop focussing on the front of the lens and focus exactly on the imperfections.

Thanks all.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin