Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,815   Online: 1023

Thread: Bag options?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bag options?

Im looking to pickup a bag for my lighting equipment but I need something very long. My tallest stand is 4' 5" all folded, and I have yet to find many bags that can accomodate this. Ideally Id go for something like the lowel Rifa but it is just a bit too short. I want something padded for sure.

Would I be better off going to a sporting goods store? I feel like I could find some large duffles that just might work. I will want the bag to hold 1-2 monolights + extension cords, 2 stands (one long and the other about 3 and a half feet) along with some misc accesories. Beauty dish I can hold in another hand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about army surplus?

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/

Have a couple of bags from here that I find cheap and sturdy. The best of all, it doesn't look like there's photo gear inside

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    edit: Seems I was confused, I measured my largest stand today and its 43". Anybody know of those surplus bags are padded at all?

what do you guys think of the tenba tripak? Big enough for 2-3 stands + pole + 2 monoblocs?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...46_TriPak.html
    Last edited by kawasakiguy37; 01-31-2011 at 03:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The army surplus bags are not padded, but they're cheap enough that you could buy a couple of them and the material to pad them for less then the cost of a single bag of a lot of the different brands.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yea I think Im going to do an army surplus bag for the stands, poles, grips, etc, and then maybe some type of separate padded thing for the monolights and breakables

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used the larger tool bags (like from Sears or Home Depot) for a monolight. Found an appropriately sized cardboard box to fit inside the bag, then lined the box with a sheet of bubble wrap. Not an arrangement I'd want to use for everyday use, but worked well for occasional use. But the bag only fits one monolight (it was an older White Lightning Ultra) with reflector and cords. The one I like best is: http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-Br.../dp/B00002243C But I think it can be found for less.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Consider the Tenba 48" Rolling Tripod/Grip Case. I presently use the 36-inch version, and I'm happy with it.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I found this http://www.fotosense.co.uk/lighting/studio-bags.html the website is UK based..Check prices, size of the bag before buying...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

Your sporting goods store may well have something that will fit your needs. Look for a bag for short skis or snowboards. There was one that used two molded plastic parts that telescoped one into the other for fitting different length skis or snowboards, and it was very durable and protective. There is a larger one that works with golf clubs. The baggage handlers are accustomed to working with this kind of bag. I also put antennas in mine for luggage transport.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin