Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,720   Online: 752

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

What do I need to do tabletop - product photography

OK - I'm way out of my league here. A friend of mine contacted me recently, saying he knew of someone that was opening a bar. Specifically, I think its a Tequila Bar & Grill.

My friend has seen some of my photography and I guess he feels I might be able to bring a different photographic sense to what the owner of this new establishment may want to see in advertising promotional images.

Did I mention that this was way out of my league?

Anyway, I thought it might be kind of fun as well as a learning experience. I have a teenie-weenie bit of tabletop exposure but it was with a lot of guidance and hand-holding. This time around, it will be all me.

I'd be shooting with a 4 x 5 Chamonix 45n-2. Probably shooting some B&W although I'm sure the owner will want some color images as well. I'm thinking I can use a Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S 210mm for sure, and perhaps a Schneider 350mm APO-Tele-Xenar compact but the 210mm may be all I need.

If interior shots are required, I have Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm & APO-Sironar-S 135mm but that's it.

I don't have any lighting equipment, and at the bare minimum not sure what type of equipment I should have to help with lighting.

Is there a basic lighting kit setup I should consider that would help.

Did I mention that this was way out of my league?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a fan of hot lights. I find focusing on the ground glass tough with the strobe modeling lights tough. My favorite hot lights are Mini Moles. Lowell Tota lights are nice for lighting broad areas. You will probably need saw horses for your table top.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Clip lights are your friend. Get normal size ones and heavy duty 300 watt versions. It'll set you back no more than $50 for a set. You want extension cords and chairs or stands to clip them on. Use a big 300 watt one and bounce. Your biggest concern is getting even light, as you can leave the shutter open. If you need to shoot color stick an 85A or whatever over the lens and shoot tungsten lights.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    As you don't have lighting, the problem will probably be with shadow detail. Take some silver cards and mirrors and some white cards to bounce light with. Considering you are going to photograph stuff at a bar, take some silver card you can cut into small pieces and put them behind glasses of beer or wine to catch light and light up the drink.
    Really good professional table top lighting or food photography lighting is master class stuff. Good luck.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    As you don't have lighting, the problem will probably be with shadow detail. Take some silver cards and mirrors and some white cards to bounce light with. Considering you are going to photograph stuff at a bar, take some silver card you can cut into small pieces and put them behind glasses of beer or wine to catch light and light up the drink.
    Really good professional table top lighting or food photography lighting is master class stuff. Good luck.
    Dennis
    The first and only time I did a tabletop shot was with food and wine as part of the subject. I don't think we used silver card, but it was something used in the manner you describe to catch light on the wine glass and bottle.

Turned out as a really beautiful shot in B&W - but I had a pro showing me the tricks and we had a soft box and strobe.

I just may have to pass on this one

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And a copy of Advertising Photography, by Allyn Salomon.

There is a chapter that covers photography by Gary Perweiler.
    Gary Was My Hero, when I was a youngster ...
    I spent almost a year renovating his Manhattan residence
    while I was going through my carpentry phase of life !

I read it until it was raggedy then, and I still enjoy it now.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you are shooting food, there is a lot to learn. Food photography is an art in itself, and if you want to see how it shouldn't be done, look at any pictures of the food at your local mall food court. Most food in photographs aren't made of anything that it is supposed to look like. They are clever props to make the food look more appetizing than reality. Equipment wise, 2-3 strobes with the option of soft boxes and some white cards for fill and black cards to block light. After that, practice, practice, practice.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's another lighting idea. When I was assisting tabletop photographers many, many moons ago, the rage was painting with light. Aaron Jones started the craze with a gizmo called Hosemaster. It's a bright tungsten light with fiber optics. I'm sure today with cheap LED flash lights you use them to paint light. Here's a link. http://www.repertoireart.com/news_vi...ends/jones.htm
    Best of luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Don't forget the food stylist

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    If you are shooting food, there is a lot to learn. Food photography is an art in itself, and if you want to see how it shouldn't be done, look at any pictures of the food at your local mall food court. Most food in photographs aren't made of anything that it is supposed to look like. They are clever props to make the food look more appetizing than reality. Equipment wise, 2-3 strobes with the option of soft boxes and some white cards for fill and black cards to block light. After that, practice, practice, practice.
    There are the food stylist that do all that food puffery. Some foods after being shot you don't want to eat. Stylist use hydrochloric acid to make steam, and glycerin to make foods glisten. A lot of trickery. I think there a more natural look in today's food photography which I like more than the highly primped product shot.

Shooter
    Large Format
    good luck!

from time to time i was asked to do this type of work
    for magazines that were doing articles on restaurants ...
    it was never easy, but a lot of fun
    ( and the food / drinks were always to die for ! )
    there was never a stylist or anything over the top,
    just me, who showed up with a camera and lights ( or a flash )
    and a macro lens ...

look at magazines that cater to the food and restaurant industry
    and get some ideas on what you can do, and as greg suggests, remember
    the mall and what not to do ...

have fun !
    john

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin