Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,565   Online: 1157

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    What mode is the meter in?

If it is in Shutter Priority mode it will display fractional/decimal F-stops. That's the only way it can get it right.

Aperture Priority mode will/should keep a constant F-stop (i.e. exactly f/5.6) and time will instead float to get it right.
    I agree, in A priority it should stay where you put it. Is there a bit of (+.10) compensation dialed in?

Following along this line of thought, you should be able to choose whether you want 1/10 or 1/3 stop displayed.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In aperture priority it does not allow you to set exactly 5.6...it also gives the 0.0f as well. I can set it to f/5.6 but it reads f/5.6 + x/10. I would have thought that it would show the the over or under by increasing/decreasing the shuuter speed???
    I guess that is just one of the peculiarities of this meter...
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Firstly, stop comparing meters. It's good to know that they're in the same ball park - but unless you intend to use two meters (why?) they will tend to give slightly different results. Not because either is wrong, just because they're unlikely to be perfectly matched and absolutely accurate. Stick with one meter and your metering regime will become more consistent.

Second, stop comparing digital exposures to analogue exposures, they aren't the same animal.

Think of it this way : With (negative type) films you should err towards overexposure because a little too much film density is easier to print than no density : With digital (and transparency film) you should err towards underexposure, because overexposure in digital means unmanageable highlights.

The dynamic of 'a good exposure', then, depends on what film material/sensor you're using. Thus, if you use a digital camera to assess the exposures for B&W film, you run the risk of losing valuable information in the shadow details of the film.

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know what you are talking about???? I think you need to re-read this entire thread.
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    In aperture priority it does not allow you to set exactly 5.6...it also gives the 0.0f as well. I can set it to f/5.6 but it reads f/5.6 + x/10. I would have thought that it would show the the over or under by increasing/decreasing the shuuter speed???
    I guess that is just one of the peculiarities of this meter...
    Barry:

This is a guess ...

It may be that this approach to aperture priority is a reflection of the fact that many cameras don't permit you to set intermediate shutter speeds, but do permit you to set intermediate apertures.

So if you ask the meter to give you a useful reading near as possible to f/5.6, it may be recommending:
    1) a shutter speed easily set on most cameras, plus
    2) the necessary less-than-one stop adjustment to your preferred aperture.

Hope this helps.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I don't know what you are talking about???? I think you need to re-read this entire thread.
    I may not be expressing myself well but, if I understood your OP correctly, what I'm saying is relevant to your original question.

If you use a digital camera to asses a light meter, which you later use for metering negative type film, the opposing dynamics of the two systems will tend to work against each other and thus may be the cause of poor exposures.

Using a digital camera to asses meter readings for neg stock is like running and trying to touch the hand of someone who's running at you from the other direction. It's easier if the person is standing still and easier again if they're running alongside you.

To put it in a purely film context. When I used to shoot Polaroid (essentially a transparency material) to proof advertising images that were later to be shot on negative film, I'd use compensation factors to compensate for the opposing dynamics of the different materials. If I'd shot at the same exposure, it would have been wrong.

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Matt, I think you may be right. I can certainly use the new meter and I really like it so far. I was just curious if I was missing something. I read and re-read the manual and it made no mention of how to change the "A" priority choices.
    thanks for the information.
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt, I think you may be right. I can certainly use the new meter and I really like it so far. I was just curious if I was missing something. I read and re-read the manual and it made no mention of how to change the "A" priority choices.
    Barry:

I've now read the manual too

It appears that the applicable section is:

3.2.5 Aperture priority mode
    · Select f with the function buttons
    · Set the desired aperture with the value buttons. The intermediate
    1/10 stop values stored from the last measurement appear when
    the aperture is preset. These are not valid, because the valid and
    actual 1/10th stops will only appear after the next meter reading is
    taken.
    · Measure by pressing the meas. button M
    · The measured shutter speed appears in the right-hand digital display
    Automatic adaptation of the aperture in 1/10 stops to the measured shutter speed
    · Select other paired aperture/shutter values with the value buttons.

I think that the portion I've highlighted above is the one that deals with this.

I wonder if this is clearer in the German version of the manual (here is the link: http://www.gossen-photo.de/pdf/ba_digipro_d.pdf)

Have fun with your meter!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I found and read the manual too Barry.

Same conclusion.

Some meters like my Sekonic have dip switches that can reprogram the meter but doesn't look like the digipro has that.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wouldn't worry about whether the thing gives readings in 1/3 or 1/10 stops.
    It's easy enough to round either to the nearest 'setable' aperture setting, whether that be in 1/3 or 1/2 stops.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin