Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,402   Online: 938

Shooter
    35mm

Size "P" or 4x6 filter? Which one?

I would like to buy a few natural density graduated filters. Lee or the Singh-Ray ones... I am not sure which size I should buy. I would like to use them with my Canon 17-40mm f/4 lens (filter size 77mm) or I can borrow my friends Nikon 14-24mm 2.8g lens.
    Which filter size should I buy? The 4x6 is twice as much...
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    P size filters are 85mm wide (could be 84, it doesn't matter much). You can absolutely use a p size filter on an 82mm lens (I do). Whether that causes problems with vignetting or whatnot is another concern: mine is an 8x10 lens with a fair amount of movement available.

77mm is perfectly usable with P size.

Or you could go with the lee holder (4in x 4in) which can be used with the 4x6in filters. If you think you might need to go bigger. I chose P size because it is as large as I currently need and it is much cheaper all the way around. I have a number of filters, and it really makes a difference.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by degruyl View Post
    P size filters are 85mm wide (could be 84, it doesn't matter much). You can absolutely use a p size filter on an 82mm lens (I do). Whether that causes problems with vignetting or whatnot is another concern: mine is an 8x10 lens with a fair amount of movement available.

77mm is perfectly usable with P size.

Or you could go with the lee holder (4in x 4in) which can be used with the 4x6in filters. If you think you might need to go bigger. I chose P size because it is as large as I currently need and it is much cheaper all the way around. I have a number of filters, and it really makes a difference.
    Yeah, I am worried about vignetting...
    Thanks a lot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are no ways to attach filters of any kind (except for Lee's special type) to Nikon 14-24G lens. The lens comes with built-in/non-removable hood with deep cut-outs and no threaded filter ring. I know Lee has a specially made (and very expensive) bracket for this lens either announced or available.

With my 24-70 Nikon f/2.8, standard P style bracket causes vignetting below 28mm or so. I know Cokin makes wide lens bracket (has only one slot for filter so it's thinner) but I do not have one. You are probably pushing it too far with 17mm....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin