Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,748   Online: 937

Shooter
    35mm

Quantum Turbo, Metz 45CL-4, Metz 60CT-4 and Metz power pack

I have a Metz 60CT-4, complete with Metz power pack.

It works great.

My backup unit is a Metz 45CL-4 with Quantum Turbo power pack.

I'm wondering if I can use the Quantum Turbo with the Metz 60CT-4 flash head, and the Metz power pack with the Metz 45CL-4.

I measure the output voltages from the Metz power pack. They are 350 VDC and 7.5 VDC (I'm using a 7.2 V LiIon battery). I have not measured the output from the Quantum Turbo, but from what I read, the outputs are 335VDC and 8.4VDC.

I can easily make the cables.

Have any of you something done this?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cant help with your query but am intrigued about how you make cables?

Do you purchase the connectors somewhere or bastardize another cable?

I'm constantly prowling for cheap cables for my turbo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The only active pins from the Quantum Turbo to the Metz 45 are these

BTW the metal surround of the connector at the Quantum side of the cable is also connected to the negative terminal in addition to the two pins.

I would not try to use the Metz 60 pack with the Metz 45.
    Last edited by wiltw; 02-18-2011 at 05:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yea, the chargers even have the diagram right on them I was just wondering where to get connectors.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Do you purchase the connectors somewhere or bastardize another cable?
    The plug the goes into the Quantum Turbo is standard 7-pin DIN. It's easy to find, and cheap, about $2 a copy.

The plug the goes into the flash unit is not so easy. I have to bastardize from other cables.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm still in the process of collecting data and materials.

It looks like the Quantum Turbo battery can't be used for the Metz CT60-4 flash. The CT60-4 flash head needs ground, 6VDC, and 330VDC (I'm actually using a 7.2V Li-Ion battery, so it gets ground, 7.2VDC, and 330VDC). The low voltage output from the Quantum Turbo is 8V. I'm not sure I want to feed 8VDC to the CT60-4.

But for now, it looks like if a flash can use the Quantum Turbo, it can be used with the Metz 60CT power pack. I just feed it ground and 330V.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    The only active pins from the Quantum Turbo to the Metz 45 are these...
    That diagram is NOT for the CM4 cable (Quantum Turbo to Metz 45CT-4, 45CL-4). The correct diagram is as below:

Note: the cable from Quantum has ground for the shield, pin 6 and pin 7. The cable from Paramount has ground for pin 7 only; pin 6 and the shield are not connected.
    Last edited by bigspecbear; 03-01-2011 at 08:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just used an Ohmmeter to verify connectivity between pins on my 'CM4' cable...oddly, while the cable works when charging my 45CT4 with my Quantum Turbo (original, not later design like 2x2), I cannot confirm connectivity to any pin except the negative terminal at the flash end of the cable. I cannot successfully read a voltage between any two pins when plugged into the Quantum?!?!?!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    I cannot successfully read a voltage between any two pins when plugged into the Quantum?!?!?!
    Most likely the power supply senses when it is plugged into the flash head. To prevent shock hazard the output voltage is turned off when the cable is unplugged.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have confirmed some connectivity exists between the unmarked terminal at the flash end of the cable, and pin 5 at the Turbo end of the cable...test with the diode setting on the VOM confirms this. Apparently it is this pin which is used to sense connection between the Turbo and the flash, causing the voltage to appear between the + and - terminals at the flash end of the cable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bigspecbear View Post
    I'm wondering if I can use the Quantum Turbo with the Metz 60CT-4 flash head, and the Metz power pack with the Metz 45CL-4.
    Don't you hate it when you answer your own post

I gave up trying to mate the Quantum Turbo with the Metz 60CT-4 flash head, and the Metz power pack with the Metz 45CL-4.

The Metz 60CT-4 flash head does not have a capacitor (a condenser as Metz puts it). The capacitor is in the power pack.

The Metz 45CL-4 insists on using its own capacitor.

The Quantum Turbo contains only the voltage step-up circuitry, no capacitor.

There is a way to have the Metz 60CT-4 power pack to bypass the capacitor, thus can be used with the Metz 45CL-4 or any other flash unit with high voltage input. This is how the Metz 60CT-4 power pack can power the Mecatwin 60-40, which has its own capacitor.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin