Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,761   Online: 938

Shooter
    Multi Format

MAMIYA RZ Pro II with Quantum, Metz, or maybe... Minolta strobe?

What kind of strobes (Quantum, Metz, or maybe... Minolta strobe?) do you use and how do you connect them to your Mamiya RZ PRO II?

Yet, do you have any crazy/unusual ideas about strobe lightning with Mamiya's RZ Pro II? (It is not about exploding and burning the Mamiya out — just if you have any creative ideas that works, please share with me/all of us here )

Thank you!

PS
    I am mentioning Minolta strobe as I have Minolta 5400 HS (x3) and wonder how to put them also into action with Mamiya RZ PRO II as slave source of light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anything with a PC cord can be used with the RZ. If you want a slave you need either a slave trigger or one of the radio system all over the net.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks!
    and when there is no PC cord... no way to use it/connect it (trigger by the camera)?

Also, Mamiya RZ Pro II has a summery flash shoe. Do you know what can be attached to it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The RZ should have a PC connection, it will be on the lens. Thousands have been used in studios all over the world.
    Do you mean the flash has no cord? If that's the problem, a cheap set of radio slaves should do the job.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "summery". All accessory shoes are a standard size. If there is a contact in the center of the shoe it will work the flash. BUT! The flash has to be connected to the shutter to synchronize, not the body.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    snip
    BUT! The flash has to be connected to the shutter to synchronize, not the body.
    Are you sure John???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    The RZ should have a PC connection, it will be on the lens. Thousands have been used in studios all over the world.
    Do you mean the flash has no cord? If that's the problem, a cheap set of radio slaves should do the job.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "summery". All accessory shoes are a standard size. If there is a contact in the center of the shoe it will work the flash. BUT! The flash has to be connected to the shutter to synchronize, not the body.
    I think "summery" is a mis-translation of "hot". As the RZ model in question has a hot shoe, shouldn't that suffice?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use Minolta flashes (5600HS(D)) with my RZ. What you need is an FS-1200 (generics are available for ~$10 on eBay) hotshoe adapter for each flash. You can either plug the flash (with FS-1200) straight into the camera's hotshoe, or you can use any old cheap RF trigger kit between the RZ and the flash. I can sync reliably at 1/400 with the Minolta flashes and cheap Cactus-II (otherwise known as Yongnuo or Phoshot, with 4 channels) RF triggers.

Flash power will be manual with that setup.

If you want to be very fancy, you can get a Metz SCA adapter for the RZ and have auto-flash using control from the camera. You can also get auto-flashes (where the metering is in the flash using a cell on the front) to work with the RZ but you need to set the ISO and f-stop on the flash to match camera settings.

Edit: I get about f/5.6 light from a 5600HS(D) at full power, bounced from an average height white ceiling. That's OK for portraits with ISO400 film at f/11 but is insufficient for slower/finer film (f/2.8 at ISO25, d/oh!). As direct flashes, the Minoltas are powerful enough for fill in full sunlight at typical portrait ranges.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin