Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,240   Online: 884

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Minolta Automate V F for reflective light?

What attachment/accessories do I need to use my Automate VF in the reflective mode? I bought a "Reflective disc" on ebay, but it gives crazy readings, way over exposed. Do I need something besides this disc?
    Thanks,
    Gerry

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't have a Minolta Auto Meter V F. But if it's like my Minolta Auto Meter IV F, to measure reflective light, you need a "reflected-light attachment" which is a simple piece of black plastic, with a hole in the center. The reflected-light attachment is included with the meter.

I also have a 5-degree viewfinder, but it costs extra, and may be difficult to find.

You can download the manual from here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigspecbear View Post
    I don't have a Minolta Auto Meter V F. But if it's like my Minolta Auto Meter IV F, to measure reflective light, you need a "reflected-light attachment" which is a simple piece of black plastic, with a hole in the center. The reflected-light attachment is included with the meter.

I also have a 5-degree viewfinder, but it costs extra, and may be difficult to find.

You can download the manual from here.
    The disc with a hole in it is the piece I just bought. I wondered if the 5' finder was necessary to make the disc work properly. I do have the users manual. Maybe there is a problem with my meter, but it has been OK in the incident mode. With the disc in place, the readings are so far out from my Luna Pro SBC that I'm sure there is a problem somewhere (maybe the user?). Anyway, Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
    Gerry
    Gerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those buggers are hard to find; I lost mine and now just use it as incident. Gerry, one thing you probably already know is that the attachment is a 40 degree reflective meter, as I recall, which means you gotta be pretty careful what you point it at! That's a pretty wide range and if you have something very bright or very dark w/in that 40 degrees it'll throw the reading off.

Incident is king for me although there are times when I'd like to take a spot reading.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is their a manual in your life? Check the butkus site--probably one there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Is their a manual in your life? Check the butkus site--probably one there.
    Yep, got the manual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    Those buggers are hard to find; I lost mine and now just use it as incident. Gerry, one thing you probably already know is that the attachment is a 40 degree reflective meter, as I recall, which means you gotta be pretty careful what you point it at! That's a pretty wide range and if you have something very bright or very dark w/in that 40 degrees it'll throw the reading off.

Incident is king for me although there are times when I'd like to take a spot reading.
    Jeff,
    I'll give it another whirl. Maybe I expect too much from a 40' reading. I think my LunaPro is 30'. I usually use the incident reading, but like you, sometimes a spot or semi-spot reading would be good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry M View Post
    The disc with a hole in it is the piece I just bought. I wondered if the 5' finder was necessary to make the disc work properly.
    Gerry,

You don't need the 5 degree viewfinder. In fact, you can use only one attachment at a time.

Can you post a photo of the disc you bought. Based on your statement ("I wondered if the 5' finder was necessary to make the disc work properly."), I have a feeling that the disc is not the correct one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The disc for reflected light has REF printed in white on the front. I have a couple of them. It gives a very wide angle of view, nearly useless in my opinion. Get the 5 degree or 10 degree (easier to find) viewfinder, it is put on instead of the REF disk and gives reflected readings in a narrow angle of view with a viewfinder you can use to aim it. Even though they're a lot wider than a true spotmeter, both are much more usable than the REF disk. The 10 degree goes for about $40-50 on ebay. I paid $75 for mine new back in the old days when Minolta still made meters, so the ebay price isn't bad today. The 5 degree goes for about $80 on ebay but I got lucky and snagged mine for $45!
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Minolta AuotoMate V F ref disc

Maybe these will help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P2235632 web.jpg   P2235633 web.jpg   P2235631 web.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin