Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,837   Online: 1088

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nothing to worry, I'm fine. Testing not begun at the moment.
    I got a bit further as I can get some oxygene from a friend working at a hospital. So at least for the testing I don't need to prepare it myself. Later on I will see if I could buy it cheaply or need to prepare it by electrolysis.

Also I solved the protective coating problem. I will coat the glas from the inside and outside with polystyrol solved in acetone and let it dry.
    Although for first testing I will simply put the glass jar with the aluminium inside a big plastic bottle or maybe two of them. Still keeping a very conservative distance when first igniting.

For ignition I will try 0.25 W resistors coated with a thick paste of black powder.

I will let you know about the first results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As the new boy (only joined a couple of hours ago) I don't want to appear pushy but I'm a bit worried by all this. Some other posters have hinted that a flash bulb is a small bomb - which it is. Then there is the OP's apparent lack of understanding in chemistry - oxygen is dead easy to prepare in the home
    (other posters must know this but are not saying) but the OP has not discussed this. I worry about the use of a a suitable lacquer, adequate safety for testing and high energy pulses from capacitors turning up where you don't want them. I worry I may have joined just in time to witness a death.

On the other hand I really want this experiment to work and look forward to reading the next installment

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Moose,

I also hope nothing will go wrong. (I'm the OP.)

Can you tell me about preparing oxygen? I know it is doable and different methods come to my mind. I just thought the electrolysis method would be the cheapest.
    To be honest I will let the oxygen problem to be the last one. First I need to see if ignition works. For first experiments I have a source of oxygen. When everything other works than I can began to think about producing bigger quantities of this gas and especially how to get it at the right pression.
    Still.. let me know what you consider the easiest ("dead easy") method.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not to preempt Moose's advice, but electrolysis is something of a pain in the neck, given that what you make will be saturated with water and at atmospheric pressure unless you have a fairly elaborate apparatus (hydrogen is produced a twice the volume of the oxygen, so just corking the cell will not work very well...).

There are various chemical routes that might be accessible to you, but he overall simplest is probably to look for a disposable oxygen canister for a mini torch setup. A welding supply shop may be able to supply you with an appropriate regulator, or you could get one of the less expensive torch sets and cannibalize it.

But do study up on the safety issues before getting involved in this: oxygen under pressure (or even without pressure, if pure) can lead to quite remarkable combustion under circumstances where you might not expect it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails worthington oxygen cylinder.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format

Question about OP?

Is this guy for real? I gave a link to a pyro site to him, all i got back was a request on how to subscribe to their news letter, no indication he ever did go look. Now he's brewing up an ignitor that is really, really old news both from model rocket folks as well as pyro guys. I'm thinking he's either dangerious or just trolling. One thing I'm sure of, he's never met Mr. Google.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seriously doubt he's trolling and what do you mean by dangerous?

I'm sure Eugen will chime in, but in his defense I will say that one thing that is universally true about amateurs "on a mission" is that they have to figure out their own route, evaluate the utility of existing methods in light of their available materials & desired goals and ultimately make mistakes along the way.

I'd say give the guy the benefit of the doubt before publicly ridiculing him.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    holmburgers,
    There is always a percent of the population that is STUPID (or un-educated). They get an idea into their heads and then they ask a question to get someone to lend them advice that will lead them on. Stop doing this (not for you but for them) . You will only lead to disaster at some time in the future. This disaster may not happen now but realize that the internet is large and someone will take your advice out of context and something very bad will happen.
    Please send me a PM and we can talk in private.
    Last edited by brianmquinn; 04-28-2011 at 09:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian,

Honestly, I resent this. First off, I'm merely stating an opinion and have offered little or no technical assistance in the matter, so there's nothing for me to stop.

2nd, and most importantly, I'm simply standing up for the feelings of the OP in light of you effectively calling him STUPID, and Grif for his assumptions that he's a troll, etc. It's like you guys don't realize he's going to read this, or don't care.

I don't think it's a good idea if we as humans censor ourselves and police our online conversations for fear of some potential danger that might come to someone who reads it. There's nothing new going on here... there's enough information in books to create all sorts of carnage, and you won't see me getting the lighter fluid...
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Brian,

I don't think it's a good idea if we as humans censor ourselves and police our online conversations for fear of some potential danger that might come to someone who reads it. There's nothing new going on here... there's enough information in books to create all sorts of carnage, and you won't see me getting the lighter fluid...
    I'm not taking any sides in all this...I'm all for experimenting in our photographic hobby....but no way would I try something like this at home.

I studied chemistry and physics at college many years ago, before present "health-and-safety" rules, but proper lab precautions and safety were paramount even then. Even oxygen can be an awkward element in the wrong place (remember the 3 Apollo capsule deaths...despite NASA having, presumably, the top designers, engineers and scientists dealing with these things).

It would also concern me when the OP says that "a friend in a hospital can get me oxygen". I wouldn't like to be in that friend's shoes if anything went wrong with the experiment and the authorities found out about this?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Would ya hurry up already with the posting of the movie clips of the exploding lightbulbs!
    And the oxygen tank explosions and the things and so on.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin