Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,022   Online: 918

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Flash compatibility: 177A speedlite with minolta 7s rangefinder?

I'm curious: will a Canon flash work with a different camera brand? I have a Canon 177A speedlite that, when mounted on the hotshoe of my Minolta HiMatic 7s, fires when I release the shutter (even without a battery in the camera! I'm confused ). My question is: will the shutter sync with the flash? I could just put a roll of film through it, but I reckoned I'd ask before wasting film.
    Thanks for any opinions on this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It should work fine though note that the 177A has a trigger voltage sent through the hotshoe over 6v and some cameras can't handle it. Old cameras should be fine like that model. It isn't much over 6v but it is over 6v.

It will sync just fine at whatever sync speed the camera can use, with a leaf shutter it should work at all speeds. It is a mechanical shutter so it works without battery power present.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should add that I use my old 177A and 199A Canon Speedlites with all my cameras, either on hotshoes or via a Kaiser PC-cord adapter.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Harry, that's all I needed to know

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin